General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you guys that trade a lot ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Question for you guys that trade a lot ?

I have never traded much since over the years I usually would keep a bike until it didn't have much value left. My current bike a 2010 Ultra Classic is the most expensive bike I have ever owned. I purchased it new off the showroom floor and it is still pretty much flawless. I average about 8,000 miles a year and was wondering at what point I should consider trading in order for the bike to still have some value.I thought at some point I may not be able to justify trading it if it's not worth much because it's to nice a bike to give away. I know it's better to try and sell outright but I'm not likely to do that because of all the tire kickers. If I trade I would put the bike back to stock form with the exception of the 12 1/2 Wild One's bars. If I trade the reason will not be to get another Ultra or Streetglide because I already like what I have. The reason will be because of my size 5'7 170lbs going on 60 years of age. I'm just thinking I might like something smaller like a Soft tail Heritage Classic. Everytime I sit on one the fit just feels so good.I'm going to test ride one at demo days next month. I will also try a Road King but I don't know if the weight difference will be much different than my bike except for the fairing.As always I appreciate your comments.

Attached Thumbnails Question for you guys that trade a lot ?-p1030652.jpg   Question for you guys that trade a lot ?-p1030656.jpg  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

Well, I have had lots of bikes over the years and I am on my 4th Harley.
First, don't trade it into a dealer. They will not give you a decent trade in value.They will either say your trade is worth a lot and we will give you a lot for it, and raise the price of the new bike to make up for it, or they will give you a great deal on a new bike and give you very little on your trade. Been there done that.
It seems to me over the years the Harley salesman mentality is "our new bikes are worth a lot and more, but your trade, even though it is only a year or two old is not worth much at all.
Try Cycle Trader to sell your bike and do research on what others are going for in your area. Also try and find a MSRP dealer to buy your new bike at, since they will stick to the MSRP price and not jack it up.
Some dealers are willing to deal. I got my Super Glide in Sept. and got a great deal, but then they may have wanted to move the 13's out to make room for the 14's.
I'm sure others can give some insight on buying and selling/Trading.

Good Luck.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:06 AM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

See what the dealer will give you as a trade in and what you can get if you sell it outright. Remember, trade in value reduces your sales tax, so if say, you get $10,000 trade in, at 6%, sales tax is reduced by $600. Compare that to what you get as a private seller and evaluate if the diference is worth the time and hastle it takes to sell it. If you strip the mods and sell them, you could probably do better by trading.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Fairshake
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never trade a bike unless you have no interest in how bad you are taken. A dealer will always ask you right away if you are interested in trading. The best thing to say while getting a price on a new vehicle of any kindis to say you are just buying with no trade, then after you are given the price, advise them that you have changed your mind and want to trade.I don't think you will be happy with the softtail after riding an Ultra. Your best bet is a Road King as they can be made to fit your body size. A softails stock suspension is no where near the ride of that Ultra. Best of Luck on the shopping Fairshake

Old 03-20-2014, 12:21 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,479 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Check out the Slim. I rode it at Daytona & was very impressed. It was the lowest riding Harley I've ever ridden, and easier to hold up than a Sportster.

Have you thought about lowering your sled? The lower the bike, the easier to hold up.

Everything everyone said here in this thread makes sense. Make sure you strip the mods & use them for your new bike, or sell them outright whether you trade or not.

Last edited by dickey; 03-20-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I would suggest you trade it in on whatever model you like IF you have a good relationship with your dealer. I do and I've always gotten fair value for my trade in and on top of that discounted price on whatever bike I was trading in my old bike for.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:46 PM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Golden rule is supposedly 75k on a Harley before severe depreciation kicks in!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:52 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Dealers want to make around 20%(probably in the 15 to 25% range) on a used bike to make up for their overhead and getting the bike ready to sell. So if a used bike is going on their showroom floor for $15k, they will low ball you around 11k to 11.5. You can sell it yourself for 13 if you put in a little work marketing it and selling it.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life is short - something I don't need to tell someone that is 60 years old. If you don't like the bike or need something different then trade/sale and get something different that meets your needs. One thing is fact, the longer you wait the more your bike will decrease in value.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
Life is short - something I don't need to tell someone that is 60 years old. If you don't like the bike or need something different then trade/sale and get something different that meets your needs. One thing is fact, the longer you wait the more your bike will decrease in value.
+1 ... I would take a good look at the slim given your situation.

Quick Reply: Question for you guys that trade a lot ?