General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions - thinking of trading for Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 PM
druski
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Need opinions - thinking of trading for Street Glide

Need to clear my head for a min and put out there what I'm thinking. Just want to hear what other peoples opinions are for a min. Here's the situation:

Bought a very lightly used 2013 Super Glide customer last August, it's been a good bike. My issue is that I prefer to commute to the gym and work on my bike as much as possible and this bike doesn't make it very simple to carry things. I'm getting ready to spend some money to make this bike a more capable commuter so I can carry work laptop and gym clothes on a daily basis.

I've always loved the look of the FLHX Street Glide and really like the subtle changes they have made on the 2014 model. I have a bonus getting paid tomorrow and was originally thinking of putting that towards parts for the SuperGlide, now I'm thinking I may use that as a nice down payment on a new Street Glide.

My reasoning to myself is that the radio will be very nice, as opposed to jamming ear buds in like I do with the current bike. Second, the lockable hard bags will be great for my work and gym things, also won't hurt when I need to run errands. In addition to the commuting, I take a few trips every year that requires 5-8 hours of riding. Now I used to do this on a sport bike, so I could definitely do it on a dyna, but damn I just love the look of the Street Glide!

I know how it rides is the most important thing and my plan is to hit my local dealer this weekend to take a test ride. Already have gathered some pricing from other dealers in the metro area via their internet requests and am pre-approved via my credit union for financing. At least I have an idea what i'm looking at price wise.

Looking for opinions on using the Street Glide as a commuter bike and occasionally as a tourer. Will it be too heavy for daily commuting? Really no idea as I never owned a bike that big. Have had a honda cruiser and honda sport bikes prior to the super glide.

Thanks everyone...sorry for the long read, just needed to get my thoughts out.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you've got the right idea in heading to your dealer to ride one. I think at that point you might have a better feeling as to what YOU like best. I've eyed up a SG Special myself!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 PM
druski
Tourer

I agree Aaresz...but curious to hear from other people that may use them as a commuter bike.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride my eglide everywhere. I go to walmart, to the honda shop, post office, visiting friends and make short 75 mile trips to bass pro all the time. I work from home so I dont ride to work but I do ride to meet clients and customers. I dont think of it as a big bike. I think of it as the only bike I would own.
I have two of them

Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 PM
sleepy127
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2013 road glide. My other is a wide glide that I put soft bags on. I used the Dyna for a ton of cruising and touring. I have used it to commute to work and back early in the morning in cold weather with my change of clothes for after my workout. I had no problems. The bags I had were cheap and I would strap a backpack to the sissy bar. Now with all of that being said I picked up my RGU almost 3 weeks ago and have just under 700 miles on it. I have rode it to work every day, rain or shine, cold or warm and I couldn't be happier.
I am wondering if my Dyna is getting jealous lol

Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be interested in this one myself.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I'd do it, almost traded my 10 on a 14,There's a lot to like on them. Is the dyna paid off? Trade in values might be dipping a bit , Didn't like what they offered me.Will sell it private,and see what 15 has in store, maybe a fugly RG,only 6 or 7 months to go.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:33 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd absolutely use it as a commuter. Comfy, easy to ride, plenty of room to carry your ****, and the low profile stance still makes them look bad ***. Of course, I'm kinda' biased.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 PM
druski
Tourer

appreciate all the replies and making me think that I'm on the right path...Saturday can't come fast enough...keep pulling up the HD website to stare at pics of the street glide, solid chance I'm going for it on Saturday, just seems like it will make life a ton easier for me to use it on an every day basis. Also, was thinking that the fairing will provide nice wind protection so I can ride further in to the year when the temps start to drop.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems like you have your mind made up already. Good luck with whatever choice you make. If a good, quality set of saddlebags added to your Dyna won't solve the problem, then I say go ahead and trade it for a SG.

Quick Reply: Need opinions - thinking of trading for Street Glide