General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regarding worsening noise abatement laws

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Exclamation Regarding worsening noise abatement laws

So we all know that at the federal level, it's technically illegal to modify your engine at any level...be it exhaust, intake, or even tune. You cannot increase the sound or pollution emissions from their stock levels. EPA bullshit.

However, almost all of us have done exactly those things without a moment's hesitation. I had already ordered my full exhaust system before I bought my Fat Bob. We don't worry because we all assume that our local law enforcement won't enforce the federal EPA mandate. Some of us have tough local laws, even some with specific db limits. I'm lucky that here in Texas, our law mentions no specific db limits and basically says you just have to have a functioning muffler with no "cutout" modifications. Basically if your exhaust doesn't look tampered with, you're fine. I'll add that if you don't act like a jackass and deliberately annoy people, you're probably fine.

But I'm just wondering if any of you have encountered your local cops citing you for the federal violation. Because all they have to do is look at your muffler for the "EPA label" and if it isn't there, or like most of our aftermarket exhausts, it says "not for street use" or "off road use only" (even on my damn Screamin Eagle II's!), they can say you are violating federal law.

Last edited by Red Dragons; 03-21-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:47 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do to the recession and all of the budget cuts most of the cops in this state don't have the staffing levels to make that reason for a primary stop. However if they pull you over for a moving violation that opens the door for all the rest. Especially if you're being an a**hole.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:39 AM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you got a ticket for exhaust violation then you were most likely being a jackass and got what you deserved. I have ridden with some guys who have pipes so loud I would only ride on their left side and they have never been bothered. General rule don't be a jackass and respect others and you should be fine.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:44 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here my pipes are very loud but I drive easy where it counts to not disturb people and never had a problem. I get so mad when I see guys run in the center of town where the tall buildings are to sound cool it's loud and there going to just get us all kicked out some day

Old 03-21-2014, 07:15 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by magnum629c
Same here my pipes are very loud but I drive easy where it counts to not disturb people and never had a problem.
Me too! I've have cops and sheriffs on all four sides of me and never have been stopped. And while I'm in town, I take it easy.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain

If you got a ticket for exhaust violation then you were most likely being a jackass and got what you deserved. I have ridden with some guys who have pipes so loud I would only ride on their left side and they have never been bothered. General rule don't be a jackass and respect others and you should be fine.
That's not always the case. There's an "upscale" town near me that attracts lots of tourist$. Unfortunately, an awesome riding road goes right through it. It's very common for LEOs there to stand on the sidewalk with their db meters, scoping out EVERY bike that rides by, regardless of how they're riding. I have 2 buddies with loud pipes who got fined for doing nothing more than cruising through at essentially, idle power and not being ******** at all.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

This is why my mufflers have EPA stamps. Whether or not anyone thinks the law is BS, it's still the law. Decades of ridiculously loud pipes have brought this down on us.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
That's not always the case. There's an "upscale" town near me that attracts lots of tourist$. Unfortunately, an awesome riding road goes right through it. It's very common for LEOs there to stand on the sidewalk with their db meters, scoping out EVERY bike that rides by, regardless of how they're riding. I have 2 buddies with loud pipes who got fined for doing nothing more than cruising through at essentially, idle power and not being ******** at all.
If you check into the background, as to why cops are doing that, I'll bet you it's due to complaints received in that area about the loud motorcycles, cars and trucks with loud pipes blasting through that area.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. When you irritate the right person or enough people, they are gonna complain and something will be done.

Cops don't want to do that kind of enforcement, but start blasting them and others with loud pipes, and you'll get attention. Just not the kind you wanted.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:56 AM
BC72067
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in a helmet free zone. My RK is loud and running 18 inch apes, but nobody seems to care. I just ride and enjoy it.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hopefully, one day with strict enforcement and huge fines, loud pipes will no longer be tolerated on the streets of this country. the has never been a scientific study that shows loud pipes save lives--a loud horn and an alert/aware rider will do a much better job. all loud pipes do are make excessive noise and irritate the public. this goes for all types of loud noises--jake brakes on 18 wheelers, loud car stereos, etc.. noise pollution is a serious problem. JMO

Quick Reply: Regarding worsening noise abatement laws