General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on using a HD for long distance riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 PM
ld_rider
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on using a HD for long distance riding?

5'10" 150lb rider thinking of moving to a HD for some long distance riding. Thoughts from those that BTDT as to which model would be the ticket.
I'm coming off a GL1800 that at 61 years old and one serious wreck is a bit too heavy (except when backing up...it had reverse!)...GL wet is about 910lbs..

Cruise control would be a huge plus (throttle hand is messed up) but I think I could deal with one of those screw throttle locks if HD still has it. My '79 Low Rider had one.

Need a windshield, bags and not much else. I'm guessing the new HDs are light years more advanced than my old AMF shovel head and would love to find a model that I can rack up serious miles on. Been thinking of either a Road King or the new Sporty touring...thoughts?

BTW, that '79 Low Rider I bought brandy new? The new 2014 Low Rider in silver/black looks almost EXACTLY the same....Blew me away when I saw it on the HD web site....Gawd I loved that bike!

TIA for any advice...

Rob in Maine

Last edited by ld_rider; 03-21-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Pappy1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have had a Goldwing in the past....No doubt they are good for long distance riding...and most touring Harleys will be in the 800 lb range...Not much lighter...but it depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing...go full dress
Electra Glide Classic FLHTC

Electra Glide Ultra Limited FLHTK

Or your best Choice.......Street Glide FLHX

Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ld_rider
5'10" 150lb rider thinking of moving to a HD for some long distance riding. Thoughts from those that BTDT as to which model would be the ticket.
I'm coming off a GL1800 that at 61 years old and one serious wreck is a bit too heavy (except when backing up...it had reverse!)...GL wet is about 910lbs..

Cruise control would be a huge plus (throttle hand is messed up) but I think I could deal with one of those screw throttle locks if HD still has it. My '79 Low Rider had one.

Need a windshield, bags and not much else. I'm guessing the new HDs are light years more advanced than my old AMF shovel head and would love to find a model that I can rack up serious miles on. Been thinking of either a Road King or the new Sporty touring...thoughts?

BTW, that '79 Low Rider I bought brandy new? The new 2014 Low Rider in silver/black looks almost EXACTLY the same....Blew me away when I saw it on the HD web site....Gawd I loved, that bike!

TIA for any advice...

Rob in Maine
Sounds like you need a Road King

Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 PM
PaiN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say split the difference between the Road King and Sporty 1200T and get a Switchback.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I suggest you take a few bikes for a LONG test ride. If you want comfort a 'Bagger' is the way to go, but as mentioned they're close to 800lbs. Check out a Dyna.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:00 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts
Default Or

Heritage Softail Classic,add aTTS Mastertune,stage1 and a dyno tune. Lower center of gravity and 78 lbs lighter than a RK,

Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Same weight and no reverse so it won't be an improvement there. The switchback is great but it doesn't have cruise control. The CVO softail deluxe has cruise control, removable bags, Brembo brakes, floorboard, and rack but it cost 30 grand. I don't think hd currently offers anything that would suit your needs.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

I would think you could lay down some long miles on the Fat Bob. I know some folks who have.
Throw on a shield, and a set of bags and you should be good to go. 700 lb. weight would be a plus for you.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,235 Likes on 1,255 Posts

+1 on the Switchback if you're looking for a lighter more nimble ride. Before purchasing the FLD, I had test ridden a 2014 Road King & Fat Bob and 2013 Fat Bob. The Road King was a surprisingly great handling bike with very good brakes and suspension, but I was always aware of its mass. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I wanted something lighter but still tour friendly. I found the FLD to have the combination of lighter weight, great agility, comfort and tour amenities such as hard bags (that are small but are easily detachable that leaves the bike also looking great), floor boards and removable windshield, that I was looking for.

I also have some time on my friend's 2013 Road Glide Custom. If you still want to stick with a bigger touring bike, I was blown away with the ride ability of such a big bike. I understand having a frame mounted fairing allows for lighter steering vs. the fork mounted fairing of the Street Glide. It was like flying a Buck Roger's airship.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,204 Likes on 3,171 Posts

I know a couple of Softail riders who don't recommend them for long distances. But, damn, they look nice.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on using a HD for long distance riding?