General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust wrap question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 PM
CursezZz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust wrap question

Alright guys I'm leaning toward purchasing the licks cycles slick drag pipe slip on and it comes with wrap for the header am I able to warp the slip ons also or would that possibly be too much heat trapped and cause damage? Please and thanks guys

Old 03-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hear wrap ruins your exhaust.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Detroit Iron
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes agree with Scrambler900. I've heard that it will crack head pipes. I have mine wrapped, but it's the stock head pipe with VH slip-ons. I don't care if/when it cracks. Then I get a nice system. I wouldn't wrap anything you care about though. I WILL say that it looks cool. I dig the look.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 AM
HawkIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read a few threads about wrapping recently (thinking of doing it to my 883 Iron). From what I can gather no more peoples pipes have cracked from being wrapped than those that have not wrapped them. General consensus is that usually it's because the header pipes are properly secured after wrapping. with heat and vibration from the engine it then causes the pipe to crack. Or it's a combination of those one set of dodgy pipes in a batch. It keeps the heat off your legs and means you can sometimes touch the pipe without melting your skin. So really it's down to what you want. Every mod runs a risk with your bike but isn't that part of the fun of making it unique? I will be doing it once I have some spare cash about

story time over from me lol

Hawk

Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Ratbike_Mike
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat wrap can cause some issues if it's not done right, and the above mentioned cracking/ruining of pipes typically happens where over-heating occurs. Over-heating will occur when the wrap is over-lapped too much; well beyond the 1/4" or so that is usually suggested. I've seen a lot of people over-lap each turn over the last by 1/2" and more, which is basically double wrapping the pipe. That causes uneven heating, damaging "hot spots" and completely defies any benefits that can be had in wrapping to begin with.

Another issue to keep in mind is the fuel/air mixture after wrapping. The increase in exhaust temps can draw the mixture leaner, which itself can cause a variety of problems for the engine. You may have to adjust your carb or re-map in you have fuel injection, especially if you go ahead and wrap the slip-ons as well (which is basically your choice, but I personally think they'd look better without).