General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on selection of windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:13 AM
FB1DE
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on selection of windshield

Hey guys,

I am looking to get a windshield for my Fat Bob.
Big question is 15" or 19".
If 15" provides enough "protection" I would go for it. Does anyone have experience with a 15" and is happy with that?

Thanks
Frank

Old 03-22-2014, 07:24 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

My stock Heritage windshield was probably close to 17 inches but I cut two inches off the day after I brought her home, so yeah, that windshield is perfect for me. I'm 5-10 and about 160 LBS.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:33 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by FB1DE
Hey guys,

I am looking to get a windshield for my Fat Bob.
Big question is 15" or 19".
If 15" provides enough "protection" I would go for it. Does anyone have experience with a 15" and is happy with that?

Thanks
Frank

It depends on how tall you are.
While sitting on the bike you want the top of the windshield just below your nose.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

I'm 5'11". I've had both the 19" and the 15" on my Street Bob. The 15" worked better for me with less turbulence.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:28 PM
FB1DE
Novice

thanks guys, I am about 6'1". Guess I'll have to try it out to be sure.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

1. A person's overall height has NOTHING to do with windshield selection. Two people of the same height will need different shields depending on torso length...You need to sit on the bike and measure.

2. If you select the wrong shield, you can have buffeting issues. Having a shield just high or low enough that the wind deflection hits you right on the helmet is bad. You need to decide if you want to look over the shield or through it. If it is over, you want a recurve shield to hit you right below the nose. If you want to look through it, you want to make sure you go high enough to deflect the wind completely over your head...There are other reasons for buffeting but this will eliminate one of them...

Old 03-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Test ride a few different heights. I prefer to look THROUGH mine, but alot of people like to look OVER theirs. You're the only one who'll know which way you want to do it.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
1. A person's overall height has NOTHING to do with windshield selection. Two people of the same height will need different shields depending on torso length...You need to sit on the bike and measure.

2. If you select the wrong shield, you can have buffeting issues. Having a shield just high or low enough that the wind deflection hits you right on the helmet is bad. You need to decide if you want to look over the shield or through it. If it is over, you want a recurve shield to hit you right below the nose. If you want to look through it, you want to make sure you go high enough to deflect the wind completely over your head...There are other reasons for buffeting but this will eliminate one of them...

To the OP: My sincere apologies for including my height in my first post here. Please disregard anything that I said. I obviously know NOTHING about what I'm talking about.

That was a joke. themouth!!! is right. Even similar torso lengths will have different results due to posture, footpeg location, and other factors. It's really kind of a crapshoot to find the best windshield. If you can try different ones out that is the best bet.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

In my case, I was getting buffeted like crazy. It had nothing to do with the height of the windshield, because it was coming up from underneath probably because of the low pressure area behind the shield.
I solved my problem by adding a set of wind deflector fangs on the forks. 90% of the problem was solved.
The fangs may not look that great, but I would rather ride without getting buffeted.
If I take the fangs off, it's very uncomfortable on the highway. I would rather ride with no windshield than with a windshield and no lower wind deflectors.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:41 PM
FB1DE
Novice

Ah, interesting. So the subject is a lot more complicated than I thought. A follow-up question on that:

If Harley only offers a 15" and a 19", are these models height adjustable in any way? Because if they're not, they would only be ideal for a very limited amount of people, right?

Quick Reply: Advice on selection of windshield