General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sportster highway riding

Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Mr.Hero
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportster highway riding

I have a 2006 XL883L, I modified the comfort of it so it fits me, I have several trips planned with riders with touring bikes. My bike on highways at about 75 is practically screaming, I want to make I easier rides on the bike to ensure the riding several hundred miles at a time wont do any damage to the bike. The dilemma is on a super tight budget so no money to buy a new bike or for expensive upgrades. I only paid 4000 for it and dealership suggests 1200 upgrade for $2500 or 6 speed tranny for $3500. any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails sportster highway riding-img_0625-1-.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 10:51 AM
chicanagirl
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Hero
I have a 2006 XL883L, I modified the comfort of it so it fits me, I have several trips planned with riders with touring bikes. My bike on highways at about 75 is practically screaming, I want to make I easier rides on the bike to ensure the riding several hundred miles at a time wont do any damage to the bike. The dilemma is on a super tight budget so no money to buy a new bike or for expensive upgrades. I only paid 4000 for it and dealership suggests 1200 upgrade for $2500 or 6 speed tranny for $3500. any suggestions?
If you can swing it get both. If not and you have to choose between the two options id say go for the tranny since the extra gear should help.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Mr.Hero
Novice

If I had the money for either I would consider them, but if I'm gonna put that kind of money into it, better off to just save the money and get a bigger bike that's meant for touring. I bought the cheapest sportster that I could find cause budget is tight.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:34 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Lower rev's on the motor will help it last longer too. Tranny all the way.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 AM
NooneOfConsequence
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The 1200 upgrade won't do jack squat for your highway RPM's, that's all in the tranny.
The cheapest way will be to go with 1200 primary gearing as it will drop your rpms at speed about 11%. The downside is that it will make the bike more sluggish to accelerate.

As far as hurting the bike, you could ride that thing at 90mph from sun up to sun down in 100deg heat every day for a year and it won't hurt a thing. Sporty motors will handle it longer than you or I ever could. Focus on making yourself comfortable and don't worry about hurting the bike with a few rpm's.

BTW, there is a "Sportster" section to this forum and you'll get much better answers in there.

Last edited by NooneOfConsequence; 03-24-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:40 AM
1blackz28
Intermediate

Y not just change the rear sprocket or primary or both

Old 03-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Mr.Hero
Novice

never thought about changing the sprocket, whats involved in that? price? I'm not much of a mechanic on the internal things, so far I made my seat and brackets myself and changed handle bars myself along with regular maintance, I'm a metal fab guy not much of a mechanic.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ride it. It will be fine.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NooneOfConsequence

As far as hurting the bike, you could ride that thing at 90mph from sun up to sun down in 100deg heat every day for a year and it won't hurt a thing. Sporty motors will handle it longer than you or I ever could. Focus on making yourself comfortable and don't worry about hurting the bike with a few rpm's.

BTW, there is a "Sportster" section to this forum and you'll get much better answers in there.
Yep, that. On both items.

That Sporty motor will last a long time, run it hard and run it often. And don't even think twice about it.

Also, try the Sportster section of this Forum. Great guys with lots of advice over there.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tranny swap is the thing to do if you want to lower highway RPMs. You might find that an 883 will struggle a little on hills in 6th, but as others have said - it's a durable motor (so long as it's well maintained).

Option 2 is to not change the bike and stay off the Interstates.

Option 3 is to change the rear sprocket. Not difficult to do, but it will make your speedometer inaccurate unless you alter that as well. It also won't be as beneficial as changing the transmission.

Personally, I'd go for either Options 1 or 2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sportster highway riding