General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best All Around Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:28 AM
Austin Riddle
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best All Around Intake

What is the best performance and looking intake for the money? Do you have dyno results and pictures on your bike? Trying to decide on an intake for my Slim but I keep getting side tracked on all that is available.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:12 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once your larger than stock i doubt you'll see any significant performance difference in any of the air cleaners.

just find one you like the looks of.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:50 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by slozomby
once your larger than stock i doubt you'll see any significant performance difference in any of the air cleaners.

just find one you like the looks of.
Not necessarily true...intake airflow, IRT design, can bake a world of difference for your bike's performance. You can get systems that do a horrible job (i.e. looks only) so best to ask, research and price something you'll want to have on bike for years of operational success. Don't rule out HD's line-up as they rate well and aren't going to break the bank. Other good sources/options are DK Customs (forum vendor) and Joker Machine. Good luck w/your search and do you have a budget in mind?

Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Most of the aftermarket air cleaners will flow more than you bike can consume, assuming normal sized valves. I'd stay away from vacuum operated doors though, like the Kury Hypercharger. I've yet to see one of those that operates properly.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Austin Riddle
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No not really a price point just something that looks good and has a noticeable performance gain.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'm not sure about performance but I picked mine because of the way it looked. I didn't like it when I first but the others didn't look much different than stock. And if I was going to change it, I want it to look like I did, not just changed covers out.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:31 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,635 Likes on 4,629 Posts

if there was one intake that was the best all around, thats all you would see, is that filter, but there are many, good working good looking intakes. find one that goes with your bike and be happy. unless you are actually racing, and then there are differences to be considered. pick a nice one, check on some of the spec's (air flow, ect) and hang that puppy!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I have a Ness Big Sucker on my SG that was on it when I bought it used. I have no issues with it's functionality I'm just not feeling that plain round look. I'm leaning towards the S&S Tuned Induction Kit or a Heavy Breather just to get a more aggressive look.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I learned a little something about this yesterday. The majority of aftermarket intakes draw hot oily air vented from the engine back into the combustion chamber. They are designed that way (including stock intakes) to meet EPA standards. If you can find an intake set up that vents to the atmosphere instead you will end up with a cooler, cleaner charge to the combustion chamber. This results in more power and less build-up on the cylinder and piston. The cleaner and cooler the air is, the more power you make and the better the engine will run for longer.

Last edited by spankdog; 03-25-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:22 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by spankdog
I learned a little something about this yesterday. The majority of aftermarket intakes draw hot oily air vented from the engine back into the combustion chamber. They are designed that way (including stock intakes) to meet EPA standards. If you can find an intake set up that vents to the atmosphere instead you will end up with a cooler, cleaner charge to the combustion chamber. This results in more power and less build-up on the cylinder and piston. The cleaner and cooler the air is, the more power you make and the better the engine will run for longer.

There are only three companies that I know of that manufacture a performance A/C that does not vent hot oily oxygen depleted air into the intake-

DK Custom Products
Hammer
NRHS

For best performance you need cool dry air and gasoline going into the intake. Mix in the hot oily oxygen depleted air and you will NOT be getting the best performance your engine can deliver.

For a look at all the different styles of DK Outlaws Click HERE

Here are a couple of charts that show the difference between venting internally vs. externally-

Here's a chart of a Softail 103-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Best All Around Intake