General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Handlebar Controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Gbyers
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Handlebar Controls

I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I am frustrated beyond comprehension with installing the Chrome switch covers on my Road Glide. What a pain in the @$$! Why can't Harley make their bikes with the chrome switches already in place? Come on, the kit is ONLY $26! And have you seen the CHEAP factory hand grips? You would think they would pay a little more attention to detail in something so easily remedied during manufacture. I know of 3 people, myself included that broke the audio switch in this process of changing the covers out. Geez!

Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbyers
I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I am frustrated beyond comprehension with installing the Chrome switch covers on my Road Glide. What a pain in the @$$! Why can't Harley make their bikes with the chrome switches already in place? Come on, the kit is ONLY $26! And have you seen the CHEAP factory hand grips? You would think they would pay a little more attention to detail in something so easily remedied during manufacture. I know of 3 people, myself included that broke the audio switch in this process of changing the covers out. Geez!
Because they can sell you the chrome switches afterwards & some cats will pay to have them installed at dealer.

I am not a fan of the chrome switches with the black housing

Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
Because they can sell you the chrome switches afterwards & some cats will pay to have them installed at dealer...
Spot On dude.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

So the heritage seat has studs on it. The bags have lots of studs on them. But the passenger pillion and backrest don't it looks odd. But I'm sure people do go buy the pillions that have studs on them.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
Because they can sell you the chrome switches afterwards & some cats will pay to have them installed at dealer.

I am not a fan of the chrome switches with the black housing
How about chrome housing with black switches? I happen to think this combo looks pretty good.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Gbyers
Stage II

I guess the real answer is because everyone has different preferences and they give you basic & let you decide to go from there.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 AM
cfreeze
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

put the plastic chrome switches in hot water for 5 mins to soften them up, much easier to bend them without breaking.

there is a tool for the audio switch that comes in the kit. the audio is the easiest switch to change.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 PM
Zim
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the real answer is because everyone has different preferences and they give you basic & let you decide to go from there.
Yep.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:18 PM
bcbueller
Advanced

if you put the switch covers in a bowl of hot water they become more pliable and easier to install

Old 03-31-2014, 01:23 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

To put this as simple as possible, not everybody is into chrome switches. Everybody modifies their bike differently, that's life.

Quick Reply: Harley Handlebar Controls