General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you test a new seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:30 AM
nosoupforyou
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you test a new seat?

Hey all,

I just ordered an RSD Tracker Boss seat to test on my fatty-lo. My question for you all is, do you have a method of protecting the seat when test fitting it? Or better yet, test fitting it and sitting on it to see if it's comfortable?

After I submitted my order (J&P) a warning popped up that if the bottom of the seat showed ANY sign of being on the motorcycle at all, it was not returnable... WTF!?!?

Do you guys tape the entire underside of the seat? Cover with rags? Or just say screw it, I'll sell it on the secondary market if I make a mark putting it on the bike and sitting on it.

Not being able to mount a seat and at least sit on the thing without worrying that it can't be returned, are they serious?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO, to really get the feel for a seat, you need to be in it for a substantial amount of time. My dealer has demo seats they'll let you borrow for a few days. They didn't have a demo for the one I wanted so they gave me the one they had in stock and said use it for a week and as long as it's not scuffed or damaged, if I didn't like it, I could return it. I liked it and kept it.

So, just be careful of rivets on pants and things like that and you should be fine. I mean, barring any misuse or abuse, seats are pretty durable.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Sit on it?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

It's funny how warnings pop up after you paid for the item, isn't it. I would call and cancel the order just for them pulling something like that. It should be stated before the sale.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nosoupforyou
Hey all,

I just ordered an RSD Tracker Boss seat to test on my fatty-lo. My question for you all is, do you have a method of protecting the seat when test fitting it? Or better yet, test fitting it and sitting on it to see if it's comfortable?

After I submitted my order (J&P) a warning popped up that if the bottom of the seat showed ANY sign of being on the motorcycle at all, it was not returnable... WTF!?!?

Do you guys tape the entire underside of the seat? Cover with rags? Or just say screw it, I'll sell it on the secondary market if I make a mark putting it on the bike and sitting on it.

Not being able to mount a seat and at least sit on the thing without worrying that it can't be returned, are they serious?
I tried a seat from JP with that same warning. I put a canvass shopping bag (with the cardboard bottom out of it) under the seat for the initial fit. I was careful to check after the initial fit to make sure that no wear marks were setting in. I put a felt, or rubber washer, can't remember which, around the mount hole too.

I took two test rides like that (back and forth from work) to see how I liked the seat. Fortunately, it was a quick choice for me because I didn't like it.

Returned it successfully for a full refund. Keep all original packaging and tags of course, and make sure you send it back just like it was packaged and tagged.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-26-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey all,

Imagine that brand new seat you just ordered being on 7 bikes before it was on yours because the purchaser decided the seat made their *** look too fat and sent it back. You would be just a little upset.

I believe the reason you seen that message was to protect you from being sent a seat that had been returned by other people who had buyers remorse or it did not fit the image they were trying to fit into.

I doubt you would be happy one bit being sold a used seat at new prices.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:30 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt1953
I would call and cancel the order
I wouldn't buy a seat without at least sitting on one first, let alone mounting it and taking it out for a test spin! If you are buying it because of someone else's recommendation, try sitting on theirs first. You could also try to find a local distributor that carries that seat in stock. Most will let you at least mount it if not take it for a SHORT ride. Harley dealerships offer their try a seat program for just that reason.

If I'm not mistaken Cyclegear will at least order you a seat in so that you can mount it and try it out. I believe that they have a very liberal return policy.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I had no idea there was a "demo seat" at some shops. I was thinking if mine ever wore out, I'd just get another one like it. It is comfortable!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM
nosoupforyou
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the ideas all, I appreciate it.

The issue for me is I'm up in the middle of nowhere Maine, so going to a dealer to see/try the seat is not an option. When I lived in a different area it was no big deal, and is what I did for all my other seat purchases, but couldn't for this one.

While I would hate to order a new seat and get a used one, I thought the warning was a little extreme. I mean, if the tab in the front of the seat gets a little mark on it from putting the seat on the bike, the seat is no longer returnable? I wasn't talking about mounting the seat and filling it up with beer farts before trying to send it back, just mount it, sit on it and that's it. More likely than not all will be fine, I just wasn't expecting that level of concern over the underside of a seat and wanted to see what other folks in a situation similar to mine where they can't see or try the seat before purchase do.

Oh, and just to make sure it's clear, I'm in no way bashing J&P or their policies, I shop there all the time. Also, after I saw the message I did go back and see that in the description for the seat, there is a hyper link that says there is a "note" about the seat, when I looked at it, it was that message.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I appreciate it!

Old 03-26-2014, 12:45 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Hey all,

A person can't test a seat by playing games with it. Mount the thing, sit on it and ride it, the heck with the warning.

Quick Reply: How do you test a new seat?