General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just brought home a "new" Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:23 PM
BigDogBigJim
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just brought home a "new" Shovelhead

Hello everyone, new to the group and I just recently picked up my 1st “classic” shovelhead. It’s an 83 FLHT 80ci belt drive. I did not get the bike from the gentlemen that restored it and rebuilt the motor, so I know little in the terms of history on this bike. That being said it started 1st or 32nd crank at the dealer and tests drove just fine, ran and idled great.
Now that I have the bike at home & in my garage the weather has gone in the opposite direction we would like to see here in northern Illinois and is back in the 20’s, it’s been a real bitch to get started. So much so, it sounds like the compression is too hard for the starter to get it rolling and fired. Actual wore down a brand new battery in the process.

Couple of questions…
1-Could this be just a cold blooded issue based on the temperature difference between being stored in a dealer and now in a cold garage?

2-A friend who came over and witness how hard the starter had to work to turn it over, suggested I look into “compression Releases” to help my starter.

Not sure on what work the engine has had other then it was completely gone through during restoration, but it does Lope like if has cams, and starts hard like the compression is up there.

Any thoughts out there on this……

Old 03-26-2014, 02:29 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,774 Likes on 6,208 Posts

If you're used to newer stuff, they don't spin with the same "zip". Shovels turn over slower. Mine does, and always has. Learn the ritual and follow it religiously. It only turns over about 3-4 times in the Spring before it starts though. All Summer it turns over about once. Sounds like you need to dial it in.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

maybe you need a stronger starter

Old 03-26-2014, 02:38 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,774 Likes on 6,208 Posts

One other thing...there should be little a rectangular spacer with two bolt holes in it between the flange on the bendix and where it bolts up on the back of the primary. If someone else has been in there, they may not have replaced it when they put it back together, and if it's not there, the starter tends to bind and work harder.

Last edited by RHPAW; 03-26-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:57 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look into what weight oil it has since you did state it has gotten colder, I ran 60w in the Shovelhead I had, when it was cold I would have it inside in the front room, push it out to start it and made sure I didn't stay over an hour wherever I stopped which was usually a Bar, lol.
Also with my Shovelhead I kicked it over twice with the gas on and key off, turned the key gave it full throttle and kicked once, it would fire up every time.
The Bendix it had on it when I bought it got thrown over my shoulder, I put a new Mikuni on.

Last edited by oldwarrior; 03-26-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:11 PM
78_shovel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldwarrior
I would look into what weight oil it has since you did state it has gotten colder, I ran 60w in the Shovelhead I had, when it was cold I would have it inside in the front room, push it out to start it and made sure I didn't stay over an hour wherever I stopped which was usually a Bar, lol.
Also with my Shovelhead I kicked it over twice with the gas on and key off, turned the key gave it full throttle and kicked once, it would fire up every time.
The Bendix it had on it when I bought it got thrown over my shoulder, I put a new Mikuni on.
I agree. I own a 78 lowrider kick and electric start. Although the electric start has not worked I have had to kick it ever since I got it 2 years ago. Learn the ritual of the bike. I would do 1 twist of the wick with the key off and 2 kicks. Then turn the key on go full choke and another twist of the wick, 2 kicks and fired right up in cold weather. Ran royal purple gear oil In the tranny, worked great in cold weather. Also try going on shovelhead forum. Lots of great guys on there and they know there stuff about shovels.

Good Luck

Old 03-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

I see you posted this twice - tell us more about the bike - carb/ign that is installed? choke working? timing right? start simple...

Old 03-26-2014, 03:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

congrats and welcome to the forum...

Old 03-26-2014, 07:08 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

I've never had a shovel that started easy in the cold.[had 5 of them,and worked on friends too] Most common oil is straight 50 wt. I was amazed when I had an '83 that fired up when it was just a little under 50 degrees.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you turn the gas on?

Quick Reply: Just brought home a "new" Shovelhead