General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a bike long distance

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Buying a bike long distance

Ok, sorry about this, but I gotta ask. I'm new to the forum and-long story- very anxious to buy my first HD. Has anyone purchased a bike long distance (craigslist, Ebay, etc.) sight unseen? I know, it goes against all logic, but it seems that each time I find a bike I'm interested in, it sells before I could even consider getting there.

Is it best just to wait until the bike I want is available locally?

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:52 PM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought mine sight unseen on ebay, about 600 miles away from me. My personal opinion is that most people baby their bikes so much, there isn't a terrible amount of risk on a relatively late model bike. I've also found that most owners know exactly where every scrape or scratch is on the bike and are pretty honest about it.

That being said, unless you're looking for some super customized bike, there are plenty of fish in the sea. Don't get blinded by your lust to get a bike, take your time and find the right one for you.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Ratbike_Mike
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Common sense says never do that, and everyone here is going to point that out. But I've done it before without getting burned. Of course, it helped the guy was willing to deliver it to me first hand, hang for a while and go over the bike (parts, quirks, etc.).

Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 PM
SDozier
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've bought one from Dream Machines of Texas (Dallas) with no problem. Saw it on the internet (I had already purchased one from them in person a few years before), called and inquired about condition, bought it. It arrived as described.

Not sure if I would buy from an individual without them taking it to a HD Dealer for a check up and that I could call to verify condition.

SD

Old 03-27-2014, 09:22 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Buyer Beware!!!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

At least with Ebay, you have some recourse, but with Craigslist, none at all.
CL is just so full of scammers and con artists, it's a real crap shoot.

My bank told me I was out of my mind when I wired $13K to a member of this forum who I had never met. But he seemed like a stand up guy, and I spent a lot of time on the phone with him. The bike turned out to be exactly what he said it was.

Detailed high res photos are a MUST. If you see ads with fuzzy, or 20 ft shots, something is wrong! With the cameras they have today, there is no reason to have crappy pictures, or phone shots in an ad.

Most important of all, call in person, and ask lots of questions, most scammers will fail a 5 minute phone interview.
I bought and sold a lot of classic cars on Ebay, and never really got burned.
I even sent a 80 yr old guy $12K for a 64 impala conv, that I had only seen one picture of, but spent 2 hours on the phone with him. It turned to to be a total show car that I sold for $20K! The nicest car I have ever had, all from trusting someone across the country that I had never met.
You must be careful, do your homework, and ask lots of questions.
If that type of risk scares you, then look for a local bike.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Bought my last sporty 400 miles away, talked to the guy about it on the phone, looked at a bunch of pics he had, told him if it was just as represented, I'd pay his asking price, and took a plane there the next morning - he said he'd hold it for me, but that's still taking a chance. He met me, rode and checked over the bike, and then it was just exchange paperwork and money and ride it home. Yeah, a bit tense till everything checked out ok. Only thing that concerned me was the rear tire being almost at the bottom of the tread, but Dunlops are tough, didn't wear any more in 400 miles. Even kept up with the 80 mph interstate traffic. You have to be prepared to turn around and go home without it, though, and if there had been anything abnormal with the paperwork I'd have passed on it, too. Was kind of an adventure, bit of fun to it.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:55 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,167 Likes on 11,106 Posts

I take a plane and meet the seller in person..hand the money in person and get the title in person.
Then I watch as the bike is loaded on a transporter.
On line bikes might be cheaper but when you factor in travel costs, could be a wash to buy a local bike.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 PM
skreech91
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work with a guy who recently bought one about 800 miles away. He had the seller send him pictures of it running as well as every nook and cranny of the bike. He also had it shipped. It showed up just as promised. AS long as you take all the precautions like the pictures and videos like this guy did you should be fine. But it is risky. Theres some sleezy people out there.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I would never do it unless I knew the person. Too many dishonest people out there. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Buying a bike long distance