General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep falling off Electra glide - Help!!!!!!! Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:40 AM
peter foster
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep falling off Electra glide - Help!!!!!!! Advice

New member, Peter from Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa.
When I was 30 I got a Tank slap on a !975 Goldwing and spent 6 months in hospital. Recently started a HD Workshop Club which is doing well with 8 members.Wife and daughter each have Sportsters with Ural sidecars that I built up for them. I finally at sixty bought a 1998 Electra Glide full house with 3000 Miles on the clock. PROBLEM - I have viewed Joe whatamacallits tapes on You Tube and thought it easy. I have stopped mistakenly using the front brake and the bike fell down. At 6'3" and light weight I have not the strength to pick the bike up as I am too tall, old, weak to use the technique. Yesterday in a very upmarket country area I again did the same thing and was greatly admired sitting on top of my bike at the stop sign in the middle of a intersection till a biker came past to help.
Do I call it quits and trade the bike in on a 2012 white Road King that does not have all the boxes and therefore less top weight.
The Road King is 40 lbs heavier but must have a lower centre of gravity as the road clearance is lower as well as the seat.
Will I find this bike easier to ride and balance and possibly pick up?
Thanks for advising me,I am now a bit scared to ride as well, Maybe I am not
a good rider, have bad balance etc; Regards Peter.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Panterarx
4th Gear

Not sure about what video you're referring to, but here's a technique that may help you pick up your bike if you should need to again -

My wife tried it with her bike, although much lighter than an Electra Glide, she was able to upright it from a downed position.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I'm 73 and frail. Using the technique in the video, I have up righted my loaded Ultra. Since it was down on the kick stand side, I had my wife on the right side to be sure I didn't go over once up.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I don't think a road king would be any easier to balance, or to pick up.
You need to stay off the front brake at low speeds!
Maybe take a riders course?
Cut up some garden hose, and strap it to the bottom of the crash bars,
then take the bike to a parking lot and do some testing.
That way, if you dump it, no damage will be done, and you can practice lifting it while not suck in traffic.
You can learn both the limits of the bike, and yours too.
Practice, practice, practice, eventually you will get the hang of it.

Last edited by Ragtop; 03-29-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,066 Likes on 11,074 Posts

Instead of learning how to pick the bike up you need to determine what is causing you to drop the bike.
Last time you rode in 1975 means you need a lot of coaching and training. Start out on something a little smaller, practice and hone your techniques. Then work your way up to that very low mile FL.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:18 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,836 Likes on 17,455 Posts

No offense but maybe getting used to and learning the bike so you don't drop it may be a good move ?????????

Old 03-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well,hoss,ya' picked a bitch of a Harley to start on. Touring Harleys are great handling,nimble,etc.,until they start to tip. You need to be in good physical shape to handle one,and I don't mean "sorta". I had to pick up my Road King last night,coming home in the rain,put my foot down at a stop,into a pile of gravel,and over she went.I face the bike,squat,turn the low side grip into the tank,and grabbing the low side saddle bag guard,just leg press it upright.The RK has a low center of gravity compared to the land yachts,and even at 795 lbs,is not too much of a problem. I'm 65,but I'm on the weight bench regularly. Get fit,and use the front brake sparingly,those dual discs will stand that bad boy on it's ear,with very little effort.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:45 PM
745forhd
Novice
Default look for a street glide

the street glide if you want the fairing or a soft tail if not. all my friends up in age said that the full dress bike is to heavy up top and that it is hard to touch the ground.I ride a road kind with hoppie fairing and the front end is a lot heavier then the street glide

Old 03-29-2014, 08:11 PM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

May I suggest a trike?

Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM
warking
Cruiser

address the issue of you tipping your bike over. competent riders should not have this issue - dont get me wrong i know gravel can be a bitch. back brake only when going slow & on loose surfaces.

you ever feel like the bike is starting to tip, stomp on your back brake & this will stand the bike upright. i promise, give it a try.

Quick Reply: Keep falling off Electra glide - Help!!!!!!! Advice