General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12" ape install on flhx !help!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 AM
Cearnhart91
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12" ape install on flhx !help!

I know there are a million threads on this and I can just google it but I still can't find a (good) link, video or anything about installing 12" apes (pyo monkey bars to be exact) on a street glide with abs. A step by step tutorial with pics and good foot notes explaining how it's done right! I have the service manual and everything else I need as far as extended cables and wiring! Is it really that hard of a job. I'm a construction worker and I feel like I can handle this but as far as soldering 20 wires, molex connectors,bleeding breaks, Adjusting clutch I'm just iffy about it! Any help or guidance is appreciated... Thanx!

Last edited by Cearnhart91; 03-29-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:37 AM
steel cat 41
Advanced

If you are using HD 12inch apes you need not change anything except re route the clucth cable outside the batwing, the throttle wire you can rejoin connectors inside the bars
if you are ruuning the wires externally you will have to drill out the wire hole in the bars as you will cut the wires

Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Cearnhart91
Novice

Originally Posted by steel cat 41
If you are using HD 12inch apes you need not change anything except re route the clucth cable outside the batwing, the throttle wire you can rejoin connectors inside the bars
if you are ruuning the wires externally you will have to drill out the wire hole in the bars as you will cut the wires
I'm not using hd 12" apes I'm using 12" Paul yaffe monkey bars (like it states in my post) which measures around 13 1/2" or 14" and I definatly need a +6 break line and +8 clutch (that I already have sitting on my shelf) and I will route the correct way through the fairing and the tbw, already got the $40 part that will work better then trying to monkey that **** around! Oh and I'm running my wires internally, but If you have an answer to my original question then thanks. 😎

Last edited by Cearnhart91; 03-29-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:45 PM
scooterh72
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed PY 10" monkey bars on my 08 FLHX and was going to run wires internal but after getting the bars I realized the diameter was too small to put all the wires inside. I ran external and being black bars they aren't that noticable anyway. Less headache too. I only had to get a longer clutch cable. Real easy to adjust. If I remember right is tighten coupling until the lever is tight and then back of just a hair so there is a small amount of play. Worked for me.....

Good Luck with

Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer

First of all, if you even question changing out the cables and adjusting the clutch then take it to an indie to have it done.

I'm handy with automotive/motorcycle mechanics and I had zero concerns about soldering and mechanical work and it still took me 9 hours to do the job.

Youtube is going to be your best bet to locate a video to help. Also, Fix My Hog has many ape hanger install videos that will help. http://www.fixmyhog.com/search-results/?q=ape

Honestly, simply using the shop manual is all you need. If you buy the correct extenders you don't have to solder.

Also, you have ABS. As far as I understand, you cannot bleed these brakes enough with conventional methods. You have to take it to a mechanic that is capable of bleeding ABS brakes. My bikes does not have ABS so others may be able to confirm or deny this. I know ANY air in the line will have a negative affect on how the ABS works.

As for locating a model specific with in depth step by step instructions that match your components... well, Google is your friend!

Old 03-30-2014, 11:08 AM
bcbueller
Advanced

namz wire kit for the extenders go 8" + on the kit the fly by wire extender is 32310-08 it has the longer harness so no solder is needed . we generally do an 8" over kit for abs . drag specialties has the cables in stock we typically have the install in teh shop done in 5.5 plus hours