General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are dealers discounting new bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:47 AM
therealwrench
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are dealers discounting new bikes?

Hey everyone:
I am in the market for a new ultra limted but due to 5 years working in car sales I don't like to pay sticker price. Are any dealers discounting? I am wondering if it is worth my while to travel to multiple dealers or even if shopping off their websites has worked out for anyone. I don't mind dealers making some profit but I also like to negotiate. Also are their any pricing services out there that give dealer invoice prices like for cars?

Thanks

Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Not the best time of year to get a discount on a bike being it's riding season. It's been waaay too many years since I bought a new bike so I'm not speaking from recent experience. I've heard some dealers will undercut another but maybe not enough to warrant hundreds of miles on the road searching. If you line up your own financing or have cash you may be able to score a decent deal locally if you get them on the right day (usually the end of the month).

Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

They might be on the new 2013 models but that's probably all.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

C'mon man, if you're in car sales you know everything is negotiable! Being in VT, you may have to travel, but you'll find a dealer somewhere who will discount what you want. Someone posted an address for dealer cost a few months ago. Can't find the address, but did print out the list. According to that site, a Black LTD has a MSRP of $25,899 and an invoice $20,720. Both are plus freight and prep. Don't know how accurate it is, but my buddy used it to buy a 14 RK w/ABS for $500 over invoice, plus freight, plus a pretty steep prep & BS paperwork charge of $700. So he paid about $1200 over and got 15% off on accessories. Paid cash, so they didn't make any money financing him.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

From the way it sounds, many dealers stick to MSRP, some even go above. Mine discounted below MSRP, waived freight and setup. Visit a few dealers in your area, get some quotes, and see what happens. Being in car sales, you know how things work.
Everything is negotiable, to a point. Have fun with it.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 AM
tacojunkie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your not loosing sleep over it, your not working hard enuff.....

Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

My best friend just went purchased a 14' SGS, he got a great deal IMO. Now he did purchase 7K in installed options and that was after his 15% discount. AFA the bike alone after the dealer knew of the expected extras list, he got the dealer prep and delivery waived plus 1K off the bike. He did pay in full ......

Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,481 Likes on 11,210 Posts

To avoid competition, me thinks dealers conspire and collaborate amongst themselves to set prices of new bikes. Of course that is illegal, if you can prove it.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I recently bought a new Jeep Rubicon, believe me when you enter any Dealership it's like Thunderdome, there are no rules, anything goes. I even knew the salesman and we grappled over the price for days. He kept making little trips to the "Manager" in the bubble a.k.a "Bubble Boy" until I accepted the deal. Even though I paid 2K under invoice (or so they say) the dealership still came out way ahead. There's so many ways they can hide crap in the figures it makes you dizzy. No matter what the outcome you will pay well above invoice or the deal wouldn't go down.

I understand that the dealers aren't in business to lose money. What you have to do is walk away with the best feeling you can knowing that there was still some meat left on the bone for the dealer.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are literally hundreds of clean used bikes out there a few years old with almost no miles on them. Some of these bikes have hundreds or thousands of dollars in customizations including stage I and stage II intake, exhaust, cam & chrome do-dad upgrades you can get from half the original cost.

Why buy new? Warranty ain't worth it.

Quick Reply: Are dealers discounting new bikes?