General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A get away moment to ride alone.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:25 PM
mtnbkr62
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A get away moment to ride alone.

I am blessed that my 19yo wants to ride with his old man, and so every time I go out he is right along with me. While I am thankful that he shares the passion and I think we both cherish the time together, but there are days where I just want to get on the bike and ride, without worrying about him and his safety, he has only been riding since December and so I am a typical dad worrying about him. Am I being to selfish with just needing some time to ride alone?

JR

Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM
LuciousLA
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think so, my son is the same way, it just the opposite, where I want to jump on his bike every time it moves, but I do understand that he need that time to just ride alone so his only worries is him and his HOG.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's ok to have some alone time. At times I like riding in groups. Sometimes I just want to be alone and go where I want as fast or as slow as I want.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:55 PM
coot58
Cruiser

im in the exact same boat,sometimes i wanna take off by my self and feel a twinge of guilt..yet relief i dont have to worry about him..i already lost my oldest son to a bike wreck..my youngest is all i have left..i couldnt take another loss like that..and my youngest went down once hitting a deer..when the cop called me from the scene...i almost collapsed..gotta let him him go tho...its what we do,you know that,my son died doing what he loved best,and flying his colors...so ride alone sometimes and enjoy it..nothing wrong with that..sorry for the rant..this subject really hits home for me,ill shut up now,im just a new guy here lol

Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM
mtnbkr62
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coot58
im in the exact same boat,sometimes i wanna take off by my self and feel a twinge of guilt..yet relief i dont have to worry about him..i already lost my oldest son to a bike wreck..
My condolences for the loss of your son. I know I would be devastated..

JR

Old 04-07-2014, 03:31 PM
coot58
Cruiser

thank you MTNBKR...yeah,tuffest thing ill ever endure i expect ,cant give it up tho,he wouldnt want that. great times ridin with yer boy tho right? (excluding the worrying) lol

Old 04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I don't have any kids but when I ride, my wife goes with me 90% of the time. I feel alone...which I am...without her. And if she can't go because of work, I usually won't go, no matter what the weather is. It's like going to the movies or out to eat alone...to me, it sucks.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM
coot58
Cruiser

i always feel a little guilty doin cool stuff alone..thats an awesome relationship with your wife you have..mine wont ride and whenever i see,feel somethin great on a bike run i think of her and wish she was with me to experience it with me..

Old 04-07-2014, 04:41 PM
coot58
Cruiser

chickinonachain,btw ,im a 3 year lurker wanting to get more involved on your great forum,now im like 30 posts deep and never introduced myself..sorry,my bad

Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 PM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I don't have any kids but when I ride, my wife goes with me 90% of the time. I feel alone...which I am...without her. And if she can't go because of work, I usually won't go, no matter what the weather is. It's like going to the movies or out to eat alone...to me, it sucks.
I am an empty nester with both kids out of the house now. Other than my commute to work, my wife rides with me nearly every time we start the bike. I know exactly what you mean about riding without your wife...this bike is as much for her as it is for me...and she enjoys riding as much as I do. After 28 years, she is my best friend and favorite person to hang out with.

John

Quick Reply: A get away moment to ride alone.