General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pumping Gas in Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 PM
karamaxjoe
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pumping Gas in Oregon

Something just occurred to me. Many years back I was traveling through Oregon and I was unable to pump gas at a station. Each gas station had attendants that by law pumped gas. I couldn't imagine letting some guy working a gas station pump gas into my bike.

Is this still a law in Oregon and how do you guys put up with that? Ever had a gas station guy dump gas all over your tank?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:02 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't live in either state, but I believe Oregon and New Jersey still have laws preventing self-serve.
Not sure if there are any other states.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM
ChiliPepr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely in NJ too, but they will come over, turn the pump on and hand you the nozzle to pump yourself. The few times I have filled up in NJ, the attendent never even tried to pump the gas into my bike.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:17 PM
DRabbit
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Had to stop in Big Sur for gas and a young thing came to pump my gas, I grabbed the handle before she could.

Had an attendant turn ON the gas as my brother pulled the pump out and it went all over his hot bike. I went in and gave her an earful in front of the whole store, lucky it didn't catch fire.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts

NJ is just as ChiliPepr stated. At times I've needed gas leaving Manhattan and had to stop in Harlem before getting on I-95 and guys off the street are manning the pumps and do a good job. You tip them. I've had this happen in the Hunts Point/Bronx as well.
I spill more gas than these guys ever have and what does it do to the tank anyways? Clean it?

Old 04-07-2014, 03:22 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

you can pump your own gas, all you have to do is say you will pump your own, no big deal, they will turn the pump on and off for ya.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:22 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Yep, still the law and a weird one at that. I've never had an attendant even attempt to do the fill, always just hand you the nozzle and turn on the pump. The sharp ones even have a rag handy in case a few drop happen to fall in the wrong place. I fill often at a card reader place, (because they have clear premium), and they just let you do everything yourself. Must be a different law for those sites.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

In Canada the have the same no self pumping law.

When you pull into a pump, most attendants will remove the handle, lower it to the ground to let the few drips out onto the concrete, then hand you the filler.

You top off your tank as you wish, and hand it back to the attendant.

Everybody seemed happy with this work around.

If you wish them to pump fuel into your tank, they are also happy to do so...your choice.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
In Canada the have the same no self pumping law.

When you pull into a pump, most attendants will remove the handle, lower it to the ground to let the few drips out onto the concrete, then hand you the filler.

You top off your tank as you wish, and hand it back to the attendant.

Everybody seemed happy with this work around.

If you wish them to pump fuel into your tank, they are also happy to do so...your choice.

No, we don't. In Canada if someone is pumping your gas, you are paying about 5 cents more a liter. Self serve is how most stations work with maybe one or two pumps being "full service"
Now if you got to a "full service" pump, he may want to do it, because, you know, it's his job. Otherwise, save yourself some cash and do it yourself.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Have pumped gas into my bike in NJ many times, as my lady works in South Jersey. When I have a stretch of days off, I'll head out there sometimes. They haven't ever tried to gas up the bike for me. Like many others have said, they just hand me the filler.

Quick Reply: Pumping Gas in Oregon