General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever had their ignition/keylock get squirrely?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 AM
NewJackCiti
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever had their ignition/keylock get squirrely?

Sometimes ...not always I lock my forks on the bike ....came out of a store and put my key in the unlock and turned the ignition switch ...but the switch acted like it stayed in lock even thou it turned...hence could not start bike.

Anyone know if something internal is getting worn down and need to be replaced? I rather buy something now and work on it...than have this scenario happen again

Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You didn't say what you are riding, but my '12 SG has a squirrely lock as well. Only problem is after I lock it. Seems to not want to turn into the right position at times and sometimes the key doesn't want to come out when it does it. So far I've just been able to wiggle it around till it gets in the right position. I'm interested to see what some say about this as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 AM
NewJackCiti
Advanced

exactly what happened to me... i know there is a spring inside because I 've had it apart many times before...maybe the spring has sprung...and needs to be replaced. Not real sure whats going on.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Locks

Try putting some graphite in the locks and then working them. Same thing happened with my ignition switch shortly after I bought my bike. Graphite made it work.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NewJackCiti
exactly what happened to me... i know there is a spring inside because I 've had it apart many times before...maybe the spring has sprung...and needs to be replaced. Not real sure whats going on.

Not trying to be a smart *** or flaming you but could this be part of the problem?

Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 PM
coot58
Cruiser

same thing on my sons 2010 streetbob ,he dont use it any more,nor do i on my 09...dont trust it.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 PM
NewJackCiti
Advanced

"Try putting some graphite in the locks and then working them. Same thing happened with my ignition switch shortly after I bought my bike. Graphite made it work."

Thanks man ...thats why I like these forums, stand-ups like you . I will give that a try.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

I think I will try putting some graphite in my lock as I have to do quite a bit of jiggling of the key to get it to do what it is supposed to do. Makes sense. This is on my 2007 FXDLI. Thanks for the heads up. Learn something almost every day here and for that I am very appreciative.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very common problem.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:32 AM
CoyoteQuick
Supporter
Default Hey Hippie

My Wifes' '06 FXDLi has same boogered up issue, Graphite ain't a fix. Ever since Harley moved the ignition from where it used to be (under seat, right side) and crammed it in with the fork lock mechanism..."IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!"
Harley sells the tool used to adjust the cylinder, if you buy it, add on a few of the indicator rings that go around the cylinder because they get jacked sometimes when removed.
Or, you can take yer bike in when ever it happens and pay a few bucks to have your dealers shop or a harley tech that has the tool do it for you.
Crap that has happened with my wife's bike....the key has fallen out while riding so when she got to her location the couldn't secure the bike other than with the FOB. She now has her key on a strp that clips to her cables should it fall out again. I have the tool but it's a nice back-up. Also there are times she has to jiggle the bars to get in the right detent to change key positions. I adjust it when she says other wise I wait till it's on the lift for maintenance and checks.
It's an easy task, just add it to your check list.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever had their ignition/keylock get squirrely?