General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped my baby today :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:23 PM
hhaile74
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped my baby today :(

So how many of you have dropped your bike and then haven't been able to get it up...even though you have watched the dropped bike video a zillion times.... Luckily there was very minor damage because our gravel driveway is very soft..however I will have a nice bruise on my leg

Old 04-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Parky50
Cruiser

Ah dang Heather !!!

Glad you and the bike came out without too much damage.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:38 PM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Welcome from California
Gravel and motorcycles don't mix

Old 04-08-2014, 01:43 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,301 Likes on 8,402 Posts

I dropped the last bike I had. It was a Dyna without an engine guard, so that made it impossible for me to pick it up. MAYBE I could have picked it up if it had landed on a flat and ungraveled terrain. To make matters worse it happened when I was loading it on my trailer and it rolled back too fast. The front wheel turned way around to the right, and the bike landed just at the end of the trailer and tilted a little more than 90* from straight up. It was just dead weight of the motor and trans, and was too much weight to handle for those conditions. So, I had to set up my gantry hoist and pull it back up with the handlebar straps. That`s what you do when you don`t have anyone around to help.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Motorcycle Cowgirl
Tourer

Oh no!! I am terrified of gravel. I am short (about 5 ft 4in). When I stop on gravel, I don't have very much leverage. When the bike starts to shift, it takes everything I have to hold it up! I am glad you and the bike are okay!

Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

My Softail tipped over a few years ago on it's right side. All I remember was I got some retarded strength real quick and got the bike upright and back on it's stand. Damaged the pipes, tank, front fender etc all totaled about $1500 in damage and replaced/rechromed parts.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:04 PM
heritagejim
Novice

Go to one of the harley ride weekend shows and do the bike up thing...It is a cinch once you get the hang of it

Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The power of the buttocks can be a truly amazing site!

Rax

Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Damn_Yankee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I've also got a gravel driveway, and it's bitten me twice; I probably deserved the first one. I got the bike back up myself the first time, pure adrenaline is my guess; there was help available the second time.

I have yet to see one of those 'lift your bike' demonstrations or videos done in pea gravel.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:51 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,758 Likes on 4,675 Posts

I was in vegas a couple years ago for bikefest, on sunday morning, all packed up early morning, start bike and ease the clutch out, move 8" and BAMM! sudden stop!! what did I hit? why am I starting to fall left? then, I remember my disc lock!! So I catch the bike before it really goes down, No big deal, I work out, and I'm pretty strong, (thats how I stopped it from falling!) Start to straighten it back up. and about half way up, left hamstring pops hard!! cannot hold it up now! set it down on the crash bars, screaming in pain. try to walk it off, no dice. now I can't even lift it up the way the vid's show, ( I can hardly walk!). had to get security guy to lift it up for me, about 3 minutes to get on the thing, and start the ride back to Dago. needed gas, got some but I couldn't get the bike off the kickstand, had to ask a guy at the other pump if he would push me upright, so I could take off. it was one long ride home!!

Quick Reply: Dropped my baby today :(