General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who uses Progressive Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Who uses Progressive Suspension?

I am looking at getting a progressive suspension upgrade for the rear on my Softail. Before I put down the cash I am wondering about other peoples experience with their products.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

When I saw the title I thought it was a newbie question. When I saw you've been here 4 years and had a ton of posts I was surprised that you never read a single post about Progressive suspension or didn't know how to do a Google search to bring up a ton of relevant threads.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I am looking at getting a progressive suspension upgrade for the rear on my Softail. Before I put down the cash I am wondering about other peoples experience with their products.
I had the old-style 422s on my Night Train until about a month ago. They were definitely a step above the stock shocks, but the bike still rode like hell over broken pavement.

The Shotgun Shock is 3 times as much, but offers a vastly better ride.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
When I saw the title I thought it was a newbie question. When I saw you've been here 4 years and had a ton of posts I was surprised that you never read a single post about Progressive suspension or didn't know how to do a Google search to bring up a ton of relevant threads.
Had done all of that, but on this forum, the Softail riders really like the air suspension options. Predominately the Shotgun shock system (as noted by the above response) I just have a issue with a suspension that if it were to fail, really leaves you broken. I like the springs still being there in the progressive system. If double checking your decision before you spend hundreds of dollars makes me a newb, then I guess I will always be one.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:32 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Had done all of that, but on this forum, the Softail riders really like the air suspension options. Predominately the Shotgun shock system (as noted by the above response) I just have a issue with a suspension that if it were to fail, really leaves you broken. I like the springs still being there in the progressive system. If double checking your decision before you spend hundreds of dollars makes me a newb, then I guess I will always be one.
Fair enough. I was just surprised and giving a little jab. LoL

Old 04-09-2014, 11:00 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would never buy from Progressive, because of their absolutely classless and annoying ad, here.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 PM
spelk3
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 422s on my '09 FatBoy. They are definitely a step above the stock shocks, but the bike still is not great on freeway expansion joints or rough bumpy pavement.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:21 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

everytime you ask a suspension question on the softail forum you get 50 pages of sales pitch from about 4 specific members. Great! you guys love it and dont mind spending the cash but I would like an alternative even if it doesnt perform as well. And I too an cautious about all of the oppertunities for customer service that the SS has provided.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 PM
LDB187
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Just posted a ? on the dyna page about shocks but personally I'm done with progressive. Bought a set for my sporty and they either bottom out or too stiff. Put a set on my FLD and rides like a hardtail. Can't help you on the softail, I'm still running stocks on my Heritage. No complaints.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:30 PM
dking909
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had both front and rear progressives installed on my Deluxe ( by another HDF member) because at almost 50,000 miles, the vehicle was getting a " scissoring" kinda ride in the rear and front was bottoming out on minor bumps. didnt notice big difference over stock in the rear but I thought front was greatly improved with the montubes.

Quick Reply: Who uses Progressive Suspension?