General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash 2 Pass assistance please

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:22 AM
ClodeV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash 2 Pass assistance please

This winter i did a bunch of mods to my 2000 XL1200 sporty including adding a flash 2 pass garage door opener. One of the modes was getting new graphics on the tank so everything was accesible. In my haste of getty my bably all assembled again i buttoned all the wiring up before i tested the transmiter. (have 2 transmitters, 1 on the bike the other a spare). Last night it was warm enough that i installed the recieved in the garage that took awhile as i had my head up my a??. Per the instructions i made it flash 4 times to recieve a new code and flicked my high beams door didn't open.
i used the white and yellow wires that go to the head light asuming they are high and low beam. I'm annoyed that i didnt test it before i bolted everything down and now i'm paying for it.

obviously i need to lifet the tank out and make sure the connections to the transmitter are good to the one on the bike.

Question did i use the right sequece of wires or should i use something else? just frustrating mostly because i hate electrical stuff and not that its complicated. can you suggest what wires i should use with my spare before i lift the tank to make sure the reciever works?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I used the two headlamp wires shown in the instruction sheet.

My guess is that you don't have a good connection on the transmitter.

If you bought the transmitter and receiver as a set, then there would have been no need to go through the "learn" process on the receiver.

Q: The LED blinks but the door does
not work with transmitter activation:

A: 1- Recheck the transmitter’s connections.
Make sure the pin has pierced the headlight
wire and the transmitter’s wires are fully seated.

2 - Verify the transmitter is connected
only to the two headlight wires. Do
not chassis ground the transmitter

Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

whatever happened to garage door openers jammed in a pocket?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:28 PM
ClodeV
Tourer

Originally Posted by jakenok
I have that one in my tool bag. I've using it for the last few years and finally took the leap to add this to the bike. Its still in the tool pouch up front wont take it out until this works with no problems for a few months hahahaha. worst part is getting locked out of your own house.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Koafarms
Cruiser

When I hooked mine up I used the White and Black wires......

"Harley-DavidsonAll except below All except below Single high/low with 3 wire connector. Tap the 2 outside wires. Should be the black and the white wires."

Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 AM
ClodeV
Tourer

Well looks like my Flash to Pass does work. I had wired it to the headlight wires but will only work if i turn the ignition on and off real quick and not via the high beam. Oh well at least it works will go with it until i have the tank off again and see if i can hook it up to high beams.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:48 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenok
I find it so much easier than trying to activate the standard door opener in my pocket while wearing gloves.
+- 50ft from my garage I flash the high beams and by the time I'm at the garage the door its open and I ride straight in.

Last edited by 1004ron; 04-21-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried the F2P systems on two of my bikes - the Sporty and the Road King. Never really got any reliability out of the system. Now, those two bikes are usually parked in favor of the softails. I know I had to go back and forth with customer service, who really wasn't much help at all and slow to answer. I do recall part of the solution was "try the other wires" (which did work), and "you probably need to add a power supply to the receiver" (which I just found to be an aggravating pain in the *** and additional expense, so never bothered).

At the end of it, I just said screw it. Certainly not investing in yet another two transmitters for the new bikes, when the other two never exactly gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Hopefully you will find better luck.