General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 3/4 Helmet - Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New 3/4 Helmet - Review

Just a review. I was itching to spend some money after saving hard for the last several months and ended up with this:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ary-3-4-helmet

Here's the plusses in no particular order:

1. The face shield has UV coating which is really noticeable here in Fla.

2. The face shield has notches so I can have it partially open for wind, or closed for that astronaut feel. Fully down, it's very encapsulating without feeling claustrophobic.

3. The tinted inner shield has levels, so you can put it as low as you want. (Other helmets like this, the tinted inner shield rested on my nose).

4. It dampens wind noise, but I can still hear it. With the 1/2 helmet, my ears would ring for hours.

5. You can put bluetooth speakers in it, but I haven't yet.

6. I don't have to dick with riding glasses, losing them, breaking them, have a clear set for night, tinted for day, switching at 80 mph, etc.

7. It's only 3 lbs. I usually ride with a 1/2 hybrid which is 1.6 lbs, but it's a hell of a lot lighter than a football helmet.

8. When the shield is completely down, I don't even notice it. It's very clear (at least now) and smudges wipe off easily.

9. At $160 bucks, it was a steal.

10. It doesn't try to decapitate / strangle you like a 1/2 helmet does at speed without a windshield.

Cons:

1. There isn't a notch to use for opening and closing. This isn't a big deal, but would have been handy to prevent fingerprints.

2. The cooling vents aren't really noticeable, but I've never worn a helmet where they worked well.

I hate, hate, hate wearing full face helmets, but I don't hate wearing this. I haven't tried it on the highway yet, but it works great on 45 mph back roads. I got it because I like riding the RK without a shield and the 1/2 helmet tries to strangle me at speed.

If you are looking into a 3/4, this is a really nice one, especially for the price.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

It seems the face shield is THE main thing about the helmet. And after having a helmet with a face shield, I wouldn't have one without it and don't know how I did back in the 70s. But $160?

Old 04-10-2014, 12:19 AM
bikergal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like an HJC helmet you could have gotten for way less without the Harley stickers on it. I tried this helmet on myself at a Harley dealership and I didn't find it comfortable at all. Glad you like it and are happy with it

Old 04-10-2014, 05:02 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber
Just a review.

I hate, hate, hate wearing full face helmets, but I don't hate wearing this.
You described me to a t.

I wouldn't buy white, but otherwise that's what I'm looking for, if the face shield seals out the rain. I usually won't pay over 100 for a foam & shell, but the drop down sunshield would make it worth it. I don't care whether it says HD or not. Hopefully not made in china.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

It's an HJC IS-33 with Harley graphics. My wife wore the HJC version for a year or so and loved it. It's a bargain compared to the Shoei J-Cruise.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:53 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I just picked this up in matt black.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/agv-blade-helmet

It's a cross between a 1/2 & 3/4 helmet. A tad over 2 lb in a medium.

The rachet closure is the best out there and should be on all helmets.

I haven't rode with it yet, so that review will come later.

Sizing is right on. I normally wear a large but using their size chart, a medium fits great.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

I bought a Fulmer 755 for a whopping $72 - this is a GREAT brain bucket! It's everything you want in a 3/4 helmet if you want an integrated shield.
Check out the review on web bile world where they compare to the HJC IS-33
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...vs-fulmer-755/

I bought one for the wife too, but she loves her half helmet. Me - I like listening to tunes over the Sena SMH /10 and the helmet is so quiet - what a pleasure! Web bike commented it was quieter than some of the modular helmets they tested.

You won't be disappointed with this choice .....http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/helmets...open-face/755/

Last edited by Fatboy1389; 04-10-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
It's an HJC IS-33 with Harley graphics. My wife wore the HJC version for a year or so and loved it. It's a bargain compared to the Shoei J-Cruise.
Anyone interested in buying $35 worth Harley helmet stickers?

Old 04-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

I'm looking for a 3/4 helmet, gonna check out that Fulmer- Thanks for the links Fatboy1389.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:57 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Time for me to look for a new 3/4 helmet. I have a HD one that sucks in all ways, rain gets behind my riding glasses, the shield hits my nose and it hurts my head after an hour. Thanks for all the suggestions y'all.

Quick Reply: New 3/4 Helmet - Review