General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles should I can expect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:54 PM
jerseyshoreHDdeuce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles should I can expect?

Just picked up a 05 deuce the other week with 12k miles. How many miles should I expect to get out of the bike? I realize that regular maintenance and oil changes are factors that effect longevity of any engine. With that being said,what is your experience and what can I expect. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I'm at 98K on my 88TC 2000 Ultra.. I'm sure you can get more then a few miles.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 PM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somewhere between 100,000 - 200,000 miles.
Do regular maintenance and enjoy the miles and smiles.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:28 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

An '05 with 12k? Somebody wasn't riding it much. I put 15k on mine last year and I mainly ride on weekends. And not every weekend.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

How many miles?
What follows is my opinion only and I realize others' may be different.

I'd reckon this can have something to do with how much one "modifies" the engine.

An engine that has been left basically stock may last longer than one that has been heavily modded (assuming basic services performed as needed). Although changing the air cleaner, exhaust, and ECM (i.e., adding a "tuner") probably won't impact much. Indeed, adding the tuner and "richening up" the mixture from stock (which is lean from the factory) probably will extend the engine's life.

That said, you should be aware that an '05 has the old style cam chain tensioner setup. This is one area of the engine that -is- subject to premature wear, with the potential to damage the engine if the tensioners fail. You would probably want to get these checked around 30-35,000. The old-style tensioners can be changed out for the new hydraulic tensioner setup with a new cam plate (and a new oil pump as well, I believe).

You've got lots of miles to go yet!

Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

How many miles?
What follows is my opinion only and I realize others' may be different.

I'd reckon this can have something to do with how much one "modifies" the engine.

An engine that has been left basically stock may last longer than one that has been heavily modded (assuming basic services performed as needed). Although changing the air cleaner, exhaust, and ECM (i.e., adding a "tuner") probably won't impact much. Indeed, adding the tuner and "richening up" the mixture from stock (which is lean from the factory) probably will extend the engine's life.

That said, you should be aware that an '05 has the old style cam chain tensioner setup. This is one area of the engine that -is- subject to premature wear, with the potential to damage the engine if the tensioners fail. You would probably want to get these checked around 30-35,000. The old-style tensioners can be changed out for the new hydraulic tensioner setup with a new cam plate (and a new oil pump as well, I believe).

You've got lots of miles to go yet!

Old 04-13-2014, 12:55 AM
wuaname
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not how many miles you can get out of it, it's how much are you going to be spending to keep it running when you star putting miles on it lol

Old 04-13-2014, 01:09 AM
KUB
Extreme HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

Its like anything else mechanical do the regular and routine maintenance and ride it I bet you will play hell wearing it out before you're ready to get the next one.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:23 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

There will probably be parts available for your bike as long as you're alive. That's one advantage of riding Harleys and BMWs.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:37 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Keep an eye on your cam chain tensioners, and there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get 100-150k out of the top end and valve train... 200 is pushing it. The flywheels on twinkies without timken bearings can scissor because they're pressed together. Leave it stock and don't beat up on her and she should treat you right. The twin cam isn't that bad of a motor.

Quick Reply: How many miles should I can expect?