General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the new (2009 and later) Road King frame THAT much better?

Old 04-13-2014, 03:55 PM
wvedec
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is the new (2009 and later) Road King frame THAT much better?

Well,

I got some great responses on two Harley Forums for my questions about 96 ci engines on ’07 model Heritage Classics and Road King Classics. Looks like there were no substantial engine problems. These Forums are great for a newbie like me.

In the discussion, some posters mentioned that the frame of the Road King Classic changed in 2009 and were “greatly improved”. Here are a couple of quotes:

“On the RK side I would recommend researching the difference between the 07/08 and the 09. The 09 brought the new frame which supposedly provides great improvement.”

“If your looking at that year, look at the 09's, they have the new redesigned frame, handles alot better,”

So, this has me thinking about a 2009 versus a 2007. I want to be as economical as possible, but I don’t want to buy one model year and then have buyer’s remorse and wish that I had gotten a different year.

So…I was wondering if anyone out there could be more specific and describe how the new 2009 frame was apparently so much better than earlier years. Can anyone provide any details? I will try to test ride both years before pulling the trigger, but that may not be as easy as I would hope.

Can anyone pinpoint the improvements in the RKC frame that occurred in 2009?

Thanks!!!

Wayne

Old 04-13-2014, 04:22 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,016 Likes on 11,049 Posts

Rode both frames for years, the '09 and up frame is more stable straight up and more importantly the rear end doesn't wobble in high speed turns.

Last edited by upflying; 04-13-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

My first tourer was an 09 RKC and although I can't compare it to previous model years I can say that it was very stable at high speeds and the cornering was good and stable. The best thing for you to do is to do a test ride and decide. It is never wise to make such a huge financial decision without confirming for yourself that a certain bike is the best one for you.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I've put some miles on the older frame and yes I think it's a big improvement. Best example I have is a dealer gave me a 08? loaner to take home while my bike was being repaired and I purposely took the same roads that I just took on the 09, I really could feel the difference then. As I rode the older model it felt like a disconnect from the front and rear, granted I did not take it easy but I didn't take it easy on mine either. The new frame was a big reason for buying my first Harley after renting them for years. If you are a mellow rider I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but if you're a hard charger I think you can tell the difference. JMHO

Old 04-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Pappy1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.............I am on an 09...Better frame, better ride,,,Bigger rear tire....Go for it.....

Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Frames

I have an 08 RK with 60,000 miles on it mostly two up and sometimes pulling a trailer, purposely wanted the old frame for the older look and being the last year for it. Love the bike, would be very hard to part with it, surprised many fellow riders by being able to do twisties and highway very well. Also have a 2012 Limited with over 20,000 also mostly two up for longer distance trips, different bike in so many ways, easier to ride,much more comfortable ,better handling etc, so on, and probably everything else that you have read, both great bikes in different ways. Can't go wrong either way depending on how you ride, I'd advise to go with the newer frame but it's all up to you ! There's no "wrong" way to go, good luck !

Last edited by rlh7677; 04-15-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,560 Likes on 4,607 Posts

without a doubt. sold my 01 with everything that could be done to help the handling issues, and made it better but was never great. the 09 and up frame is leaps and bounds better

Old 04-13-2014, 07:51 PM
banjoray
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it all depends on your type of riding. Living in the mountains, my roads consist mainly of twisties on two lane roads with speeds under 60. I've never had a problem with wobbles and the bike has yet to put me in a ditch. I have no intention of selling my '07 RK just to have a newer frame and wider rear tire. But if I rode more four lanes at higher speeds maybe......

Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. Yes it is.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 PM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Rode my '01 Ultra hard through the mountains and the "loose" feeling was very prominent.. found the wobble zone more than once until I put an aftermarket brace on it to combat the wandering swingarm.. it rode like it was on rails after that..
Bought an '09 Ultra with high expectations for the new frame. It was some better than the stock '01, but nowhere near the hype. It did not measure up to the '01 with the brace on it.
I wound up having to put an aftermarket brace on the '09 to tighten it back up to my style of riding..

Soooo, the '09 is tighter than the earlier frame, but if you ride it like you stole it, you will find that the wobble hasnt gone away..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the new (2009 and later) Road King frame THAT much better?