General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Controlling rear brake with handlebar lever

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:57 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Controlling rear brake with handlebar lever

I"m currently in the process of hard tailing my '88 1200 Sportster and I was tossing around the idea of controlling my rear brake with my handlebar lever. I'm removing the front brake completely and I want to set up a hand shifter with the clutch attached to the shifter.

My plan is to use a braided brake cable from the master mounted in the usual place on the handlebar to a location at the bottom of the frame and then use a hard line to the caliper. I'll swap out to a 2 or 4 piston brake and adjust the bore size of the master if needed.

I've looked through a ton of chopper mags and websites and I haven't seen this done. It seems feasible and relatively safe. I want to do this for two reasons. It makes it easier to keep one hand on the handlebar and both feet on the ground while stopping and since I've had 7 surgeries on my right ankle, it eliminates issues with the sportster style brake lever and my limited range of motion.

Has anyone seen this, done this and does anyone care to share any pros/cons with doing it.

Oh, and I know I'm concerned about the rear brake working properly even though I'm reducing safety by ditching the front brake. I get it! To me, that's why I need to make sure the rear brake will hold up. I'm not making the bike for long hauls but more ripping about town pissing off the neighborhood.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser

I'm not one to **** on someone ideas, but I think that's a terrible idea. Your front break controls 75 percent of your stopping power. DONT DO IT! That's just wreck less. Why on earth would you want this?

Old 04-13-2014, 06:03 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'd be worried I'd hit where the brake should be with my foot, just out of habit. And I don't think my grip would be strong enough. I don't know. If I had to change it, I'm sure I could adapt...or I hope I could. Good Luck to you.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,189 Likes on 11,115 Posts

The stunters run a rear brake lever from the handlebars. Check their forums.
Check your laws, no front brake on a motorcycle is usually illegal unless the bike is older than 1948.

Last edited by upflying; 04-13-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:24 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer

Sorry but you are way heavy on your front brake! I use my front only to steady the front end coming to a stop. I learned a long time ago to never rely on a front brake unless you love sliding in gravel or flying over the front. I trained myself years ago to immediately go to the back brake for emergency stopping. My concern is that I'm so used to going to the foot lever that going for the handlebar might slow my reaction time.

I'm not saying that you are outside the norm, but you use that brake a hell of a lot more than I do. It's not like a car where you have no control over the linked braking. On a bike, you have all the control.

At this time, I'm not too concerned with the legality of the front brake. Like I said, I'm tossing around the idea. Many things I want to do will fall out of line with current inspection laws. Again, this will be a once in a while type ride that I get out to make noise with. Likely a runner back and forth to work where I don't have to worry too much about cops messing around. Just because something isn't legal doesn't mean you can't ride it. Just means you can't get caught riding it.

Originally Posted by Jimmykoz
I'm not one to **** on someone ideas, but I think that's a terrible idea. Your front break controls 75 percent of your stopping power. DONT DO IT! That's just wreck less. Why on earth would you want this?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:20 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by zyonsdream
Sorry but you are way heavy on your front brake! I use my front only to steady the front end coming to a stop. I learned a long time ago to never rely on a front brake unless you love sliding in gravel or flying over the front. I trained myself years ago to immediately go to the back brake for emergency stopping. My concern is that I'm so used to going to the foot lever that going for the handlebar might slow my reaction time. I'm not saying that you are outside the norm, but you use that brake a hell of a lot more than I do. It's not like a car where you have no control over the linked braking. On a bike, you have all the control. At this time, I'm not too concerned with the legality of the front brake. Like I said, I'm tossing around the idea. Many things I want to do will fall out of line with current inspection laws. Again, this will be a once in a while type ride that I get out to make noise with. Likely a runner back and forth to work where I don't have to worry too much about cops messing around. Just because something isn't legal doesn't mean you can't ride it. Just means you can't get caught riding it.
If you rely on your rear brake in an emergency braking situation...please never ride behind me.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:02 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
The stunters run a rear brake lever from the handlebars. Check their forums.
Check your laws, no front brake on a motorcycle is usually illegal unless the bike is older than 1948.
And you get your information where? I taught MSF for 6 years and NEVER saw that.

Here's the current laws for equipment required in Minnesota--the state I taught in. Note the last one.

To register their bikes, all motorcycle riders in Minnesota must also have the following basic safety equipment in working condition:
Protective eyeglasses, goggles, or face shield
Windscreen is optional, but does not preclude requirement for the above face and eye protection
Passenger footrests must be provided along with seat for passenger
Rear-view mirror, horn, muffler
At least one headlight with low and high beam, but no more than two headlights
One red taillight, including brake lamp or stop lamp
At least one brake, front or rear, which can be operated by hand or foot

Here's the current requirements for your state of California:

Equipment Requirements
• Brakes, tires, rear view mirror and horn in good operating condition
• Multi-beam headlight for 1978 models and later to remain on at all times
• Tail light and license plate light
• Front and rear turn signals for 1973 and later models
• Passenger footrests allowing any passenger to place feet on them

Specifically, here's the statute on brakes in California:

Brakes (26311, 26453, 26454 VC). Motorcycles shall be equipped with brakes on at least one wheel. Motorcycles manufactured after 1965 shall be equipped with brakes on all wheels except the wheels on an attached sidecar. Brakes must be capable of stopping the vehicle on a level road within 25 feet at an initial speed of 20 miles per hour. The brakes shall also control the movement of, and stop and hold the vehicle under all conditions of loading, on any grade on which it is operated. All brakes shall be maintained in good working order.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp888.pdf

Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=zyonsdream;12583142]Sorry but you are way heavy on your front brake! I use my front only to steady the front end coming to a stop. I learned a long time ago to never rely on a front brake unless you love sliding in gravel or flying over the front. I trained myself years ago to immediately go to the back brake for emergency stopping. My concern is that I'm so used to going to the foot lever that going for the handlebar might slow my reaction time.

I'm not saying that you are outside the norm, but you use that brake a hell of a lot more than I do. It's not like a car where you have no control over the linked braking. On a bike, you have all the control.

My friend, you belong in a car, if that.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I"m currently in the process of hard tailing my '88 1200 Sportster and I was tossing around the idea of controlling my rear brake with my handlebar lever. I'm removing the front brake completely and I want to set up a hand shifter with the clutch attached to the shifter.

My plan is to use a braided brake cable from the master mounted in the usual place on the handlebar to a location at the bottom of the frame and then use a hard line to the caliper. I'll swap out to a 2 or 4 piston brake and adjust the bore size of the master if needed.

I've looked through a ton of chopper mags and websites and I haven't seen this done. It seems feasible and relatively safe. I want to do this for two reasons. It makes it easier to keep one hand on the handlebar and both feet on the ground while stopping and since I've had 7 surgeries on my right ankle, it eliminates issues with the sportster style brake lever and my limited range of motion.

Has anyone seen this, done this and does anyone care to share any pros/cons with doing it.

Oh, and I know I'm concerned about the rear brake working properly even though I'm reducing safety by ditching the front brake. I get it! To me, that's why I need to make sure the rear brake will hold up. I'm not making the bike for long hauls but more ripping about town pissing off the neighborhood.

Okay Pro:

You look like a badass, in your mind.

Con:

Everyone else thinks you are an id.

Pro: You do not have to contort your mangled ankle to get to the rear brake.

Con: You have to make further modifications to your motorcycle, in order to accommodate your new disabilities, brought upon yourself by removing your front brake.

Sure, we have been doing it on dragbikes for thirty years. But we have a need, and a front brake. What you are constructing, my friend, is an implement of your own destruction. I'll watch. However, Performance machine sells braking systems for those with disabilities. What you want is one big bore master, with a proportioning valve that operates BOTH brakes.

Last edited by ranchodeluxe; 04-13-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added smartass comments
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry but you are way heavy on your front brake! I use my front only to steady the front end coming to a stop. I learned a long time ago to never rely on a front brake unless you love sliding in gravel or flying over the front. I trained myself years ago to immediately go to the back brake for emergency stopping. My concern is that I'm so used to going to the foot lever that going for the handlebar might slow my reaction time.

You are 100% and COMPLETELY wrong...Take a riding course...

Quick Reply: Controlling rear brake with handlebar lever