General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode with 2 guys on crotch rocekts today...made some observations

Old 04-13-2014, 10:55 PM
fxbrry
Road Captain
Received 254 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Rode with 2 guys on crotch rocekts today...made some observations

So I had to go out of town for work this week and Im working in a town that an old college buddy lives. Since the weather was nice I brought my Fatboy along. My buddy rides a Yamaha R6 and one of his neighbors wanted to come along and he rides a GSXR1000. Both guys are in their mid 30's so not old but not young either. I made some observations over the coarse of the ride.
My first observation; as soon as I roll by Fatboy off the trailer the neighbor guy checks out my Harley and says "The next bike I get is going to be a Harley". As much as crotch rocket guys diss Harleys, I think most like them and would like to have one.

2nd observation; we were discussing where to ride while looking at a map. I picked a route that would wind us through the country and over to a lake to catch some nice scenery, maybe an hour ride to get there. The neighbor guys first comment was "that's too far to ride". Seriously, that's a short ride for me.

3rd observation; they both were constantly changing lanes through town, swerving around cars. No riding formation at all.

4th observation, they were constantly on the throttle and off the throttle. Never riding at a constant speed.

5th observation; I pulled up to a stop light next the my buddy on the R6 and we give each other that look, the look of as soon as this light turns green it's a drag race. So as soon as the light turns green and we're off to the races. I was surprised by my fatboy. We were neck and neck up till about 50mph before he started to pull away.

We stopped at one point of the ride and I switched bikes with my buddy to give him a chance to ride my Fatboy. The first red light we came to, he said "this thing is comfortable, it's like I'm riding on a lazy boy recliner, I want one." His bike on the other hand was so uncomfortable. My hands were hurting from leaning so far over the tank. No wonder they dont ride far.

I just wanted to share my riding experience today. This was the first time that I had ridden with crotch rocket riders and will probably be my last. It wasn't much fun.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

LOL, love it! Sport bikes are for going fast with the scenery in a blur. Getting tickets, and raising insurance rates.
Harleys on the other hand, bad ***, great scenery you ride through, chicks, *****, the rumble of the engine.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:10 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

I'm surprised you would lower yourself to riding with sportcrap!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

You keep the weight off of your hands by twisting the right grip. Lots of sport bike riders move to Harleys, cruisers or adventure bikes because they know they spend too much time at speeds over 100 MPH and that the law of averages will catch up to them sooner or later in the form of a crash or reckless driving ticket. On the right road(s), I would gladly swap my Road King for an R6 or Gixxer.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

I've ridden and owned quite a few crotch rockets in my time, and the last few I owned, were very capable of long distance riding, comfortably.

My FJ1200 and I made many trips from north Georgia to Daytona Beach,stopping only for fuel. That bike was actually more comfortable on a long ride than my Heritage is.

I also change lanes frequently through traffic, and rarely ride at any steady speed.
It's the way I've always ridden a bike, some things remain the same.

I would bet, that the people you were observing on the crotch rockets, would probably ride a Harley with the same riding techniques they use now.
Albeit a lot slower, and a lot less lean angle than they are used to.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the open road, you'll notice their normal riding position.
Left arm resting over the tank leaning forward.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:41 AM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever this one buddy of mine calls me up to ride, I always assume it's only going to be for an hour or so. He only rides a gsxr 750 and an FZ8. He goes about 20 miles then is done and ready to stop. Im always thinking to myself "we just started riding, we do more sitting around than riding. Why do I ride with this guy????" It's always the same. I end up riding by myself after an hour or so...

Old 04-14-2014, 12:50 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fxbrry
We stopped at one point of the ride and I switched bikes with my buddy to give him a chance to ride my Fatboy. The first red light we came to, he said "this thing is comfortable, it's like I'm riding on a lazy boy recliner, I want one." His bike on the other hand was so uncomfortable. My hands were hurting from leaning so far over the tank. No wonder they dont ride far.
thats a sign that the bike isnt set up right for you. its easy to get comfortable on a harley. a sport bike needs far more adjustment for the rider. plenty of people on crotch rockets have done 1000 mile days.

personally i lean more towards the sport standards these days. the bandits ( gsxf1250a) fz1, ninja 1000 ( not the zx). they'll do most everything the crotch rockets will but far more comfortably.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:06 AM
Weekend Brawler
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done that ride a couple of times, usually fun if the guys on the sport bikes are chill, if not then it can be a whole bunch of fun watching the act a fool while your just cruising along watching the show.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 AM
Todd1113
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Only thing I miss about my R6 is the cornering and the brakes. My Harley is just as fun going alot slower and way more comfortable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rode with 2 guys on crotch rocekts today...made some observations