General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have a run in with a 4 wheeler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:02 AM
adamsj00
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have a run in with a 4 wheeler?

Yesterday I get on my Fat Boy Lo after dropping it on Saturday with a possible cracked rib and not 5 miles from the house I am the 2nd on scene to an accident. Crotch rocket in the ditch on the right a 4 wheeler close behind and a HD laying in the left lane. Guy laying in the ditch Tom 70 years young dazed and confused for a few but comes around hurting left shoulder and left side. He states the 4 wheeler riding in front of him moved to the right side of the road as to pull off then turned left directly in front of him with no time to react they impact. 2nd bike following locked his brakes and slid out from under him he took a few rolls but was up and moving around with road rash (short sleeve shirt) Tom laying in the ditch was kept still until ambulance shows up. Tom was wearing a leather riding jacket, full helmet and riding gloves had to help him tremendously. Around here it is not uncommon to come across a 4 wheeler on the road and without proper signals they are dangerous and should be given plenty of space. Hopefully Tom and his buddy recover fully. Do not know if the 4 wheeler got cited or not he was unhurt 30ish my guess not just a young kid. Other hazards yesterday 2 dogs standing in the road on a turn, loose gravel, sand and salt deposits. Be safe.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The above is all part of riding around on public roads....

Keep your head on a swivel and pay attention to what is going on around you.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,782 Likes on 6,212 Posts

We got kids on skateboards using the hill by our house. They do it in traffic, too.
If you honk at them, they swear at you.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM
jdub099
Road Captain

I had a kid on a 4-wheeler on the sidewalk in a neighborhood, going about 35mph, cut onto the street in front of myself and three of my friends nearly causing an accident. My friends wanted to follow and kill him (not literally of course) but I told them eventually he'd kill himself. He was on some shitty Honda. I told them if he was on a Raptor or something they may not have ever caught him anyway.

Last edited by jdub099; 04-14-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,782 Likes on 6,212 Posts

The last ATV that did that in front of my house got a buck knife through the tire sidewall when I stopped him. Told him to go ahead and call the law.
"Well, I was riding illegally on the sidewalk, and..."

Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,203 Likes on 11,117 Posts

Why is an ATV on a public roadway?
If I was on a motorcycle following a vehicle that is illegal to be on a roadway, I would get away from it as far as I can..
ATV rider has no license, no insurance, no registration.. you are screwed if one hits you.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:31 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First off, hope everyone is ok. (was the 70 y/o on the crotch rocket?)

Second, most experienced riders realize that ATV's, bicycles, cars, etc. often behave erratically and therefore are prepared to act accordingly.

Point is, there is no substitute for experience and always expect the unexpected and ride accordingly. Doing so obviously won't guarantee 100% safety but it will improve your odds significantly.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 PM
jdub099
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Second, most experienced riders realize that ATV's, bicycles, cars, etc. often behave erratically and therefore are prepared to act accordingly.
Had a cyclist sitting at a light behind me the other day, right in my blind spot of course. When the light changed she went straight by me on my right even though I had my signal on to make a right turn. Common sense says she would act like a vehicle and stay behind me until I made my turn. Luckily I knew she was probably an idiot so I let her pass before making my turn. Had I not done this I would have taken her out for sure.

I assume everyone is a ****ing idiot.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Sounds like a typical Tuesday around here.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 PM
adamsj00
Intermediate

Yes the 70 yr old was on the crotch rocket. I agree with many others when saying ride like every one is out to kill you. Maybe not intentionally but through negligence, daydreaming, bad day, good day or whatever else takes their mind off of driving. 3000lbs+ vs 700/800lbs not good odds.

Quick Reply: anyone have a run in with a 4 wheeler?