General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got some new pipes and tried some big city thunder baffles!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 AM
spooneralmighty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some new pipes and tried some big city thunder baffles!

Well after the long winter in North Eastern PA I decided the bike needed a little change.

So I traded my Big Radius for a set of short shots.

I recently purchased a house (although the bank keeps pushing the signing date back) and it is a mile down a dirt road so the ground pounders had to go! I didn't like the idea of a sand storm every time I left the house.

Anyway I mounted the pipes up and they did not have any baffles in them. I wasn't a fan of the obnoxious-no-tone sound so I ordered a set of big city thunder baffles with the quiet cores. After reading reviews and seeing that this is the only way to make short shots perform decent I bit the bullet and found a used set for 70$ shipped.

Anyway all in all I didn't seem to loose any power by switching these pipes (I know neither of them are really a performance pipe and I do plan on going to a 2-1 eventually.)

Just thought I would show some pictures of it and let you guys know the big city thunder baffles made a huge difference from straight pipe especially in the low end!

Mod list
-V&H short shots
-Cone Air cleaner
-Andrews 54H cam
-103 Jugs and pistons
-Chain Drive kit
-16'' Apes
-Tri bar tail light
-Lowered

Dyno- 90HP 105Ft/lbs torque

Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM
tinmarine
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a bad *** scoot there brother! Looks good.
A buddy of mine has thunder baffles in his V&H and they sound great. Not the quiet ones though. V&H actually told him those baffles produce more power then any of the ones they manufacture. Good choice.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I was going to get their baffles when I first got my pipes but as long as I don't get on it, they're not that loud.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 AM
spooneralmighty
Intermediate

I do think it could be a touch louder. I mean its not quiet by any means and you do get a Deep Harley grunt. The cam makes them sound awesome at idle... Slightly quieter than oem baffles.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Originally Posted by spooneralmighty
I do think it could be a touch louder. I mean its not quiet by any means and you do get a Deep Harley grunt. The cam makes them sound awesome at idle... Slightly quieter than oem baffles.
I run the QQ's in my Rineharts w/stock baffles and it's real nice at highway speeds, not sure if I'd like to be riding behind me or not.

I run the Thunder Monsters in my V&H Straight shots with stock baffles removed. With the S&S cams, the sound is incredible. I get more people ask me what set up I have because I guess it just sounds that good. I'll try to post a sound clip but my phone took a dump.

They make the BCT's in the town I live (Concord NC) and sell them out of Charlotte. I bought mine from the office (yes there in an actual office setting) in Charlotte and the people there are more than helpful and knowledgeable about what they sell.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great looking bike!!! Wow!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:40 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Looks good!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:13 PM
spooneralmighty
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Have a lot of money and work into this bike! always nice hearing complements

Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM
nosoupforyou
Cruiser

Liked seeing this post, I ordered some of these baffles (not the QQ's) to put into my V&H Side Shots. Since the short shots and side shots have always sounded similar to me, this is all good news to me!

I had bought them just to give them a try, but am excited now to see/hear the difference!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 AM
spooneralmighty
Intermediate

yes over all I'm happy with it... I heard the quiet core is what gives it the back pressure... I would really like to hear what they sound like with just the monster's!

Quick Reply: Got some new pipes and tried some big city thunder baffles!