General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much sand becomes dangerous in the road?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 PM
dragonflyrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much sand becomes dangerous in the road?

Is it a light dusting or thicker amt? What causes the issue...breaking, cornering, the clutch being engaged? In two FB women's riding groups, I've heard about three accidents. One with a guy going up a hill too fast, but lost control on some gravel. Not quite the same, but similar.

How would I know a dangerous situation ahead of me? And, what do I do so I don't end up on the ground?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

If I can see it, I get prepared for it. I'll slow down before I get there, if it's that noticeable. But I'd never brake, lean or turn on it, if I can help it. So far...I haven't been in trouble with it.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Dirt riding experience helps. Don't steer, lean or brake hard enough to make the front end "wash out". If you're riding a "standard" bike, you can scooch up on to the rear of the gas tank to put some more weight on the front wheel so it's less apt to slide, but you have to be ready to gas it if you want to slide the rear end around. If you're riding a chopper/cruiser, you're kinda screwed because they're harder to slide around a corner. If you're not sure what to do, just pretend you're riding on rain-slicked pavement whenever you see sand or gravel. Always wear gloves, boots and protective gear, and make sure to get your leg out from under the bike if you're going down. Have fun!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Lots of variables but typically don't want to hit your front brake in it. Basically ride through it straight and level.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:32 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Up in these parts ,intersections are where most of that sand will be.It doesn't get blown off by cars flying by.Careful,slow down,especially turns off main roads

Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't touch your front brake, and keep the bike straight up and down with a steady throttle all the way through it. I ride my FXDS around the dirt roads of the Florida panhandle all the time, and they're solid sand.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Issues will arise when there isn't good traction, obviously. Straight line riding will allow for more sand with less issue than an uphill turn while applying the front brake, but if it is deep enough, your tires still won't get any purchase.

Anything that could cause a skid, sudden acceleration, or lateral force (like in a turn) increases your risk. Wet vs. dry, tire condition, tire pressure, speed, rider ability, passenger or cargo loading, and a lot of other issues can also come into play.

I'll assume that roads in your area have taken a beating this winter, and they've dumped all kinds of crap on them to help keep cars and trucks on the roads. One of the back roads in my neighborhood is a steep hill on a hairpin turn. There is literally 3 inches deep of sand, gravel, and salt substance. It's scary in a 4-wheel jeep, and impassable on a bike. Just keep your head on, don't push things, and you'll be fine. The more heavily traveled the road, the less likely there is to be such an accumulation of this sand/gravel hazard. At intersections, especially where there is a dirt or gravel shoulder that people tend to cut their turns short in (and kick out crap onto the road) can be hazardous. There may be issues where ruptured water mains or other similar stuff has happened, and the road has been "repaired" by filling in with dirt and gravel. Shoulders may be crumbling due to winter, roads may be buckled, and potholes may also be filled up with gravel or sand.

Remember, the whole lane is yours - white line, middle, and yellow line - so go where you seem best off.

Good question, and something we all need to be mindful of.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

hey dragonflyrider, all of the answers to you were good ones. Just go slower, act like you are riding in the rain. Be aware of corners, intersections, and low lying areas that collect sand and debris. Its kind of like the back roads you ride after an intense rain. All the sand and rock that is floated into the road by rain is a hazard to watch out for. So to make this easy......ride slow, look ahead, anticipate slipping when you put your foot down at a stop or intersection, assume that any odd looking spot in the road is a place you want to avoid. Above all, just ride safe.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 PM
glide5904
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the worst time of the year around here for sand.
Just pay attention and watch the road especially in corners. Slow down and don't tense up.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Doesnt take much.

Quick Reply: How much sand becomes dangerous in the road?