General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Helmets Skull Cap DOT (Thanks Don's Cycles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Turbinesaint
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daytona Helmets Skull Cap DOT (Thanks Don's Cycles)

I wanted to take the time to post a review of the Daytona Helmets Skull Cap. I wanted to start by thanking Don at Don's Cycleware for providing me with the helmet.

I have been riding with a 3/4 to full face helmet for the past few years now and this was my first 1/2 helmet that I've worn. I must say that this helmet is very lightweight and comfortable. It feels like not wearing a helmet at all. I live in a state with no helmet laws and I've only ridden a couple times without a bucket of some sorts. Wearing this helmet compares to the sensation of riding without one but with the added protection.

I've had the opportunity to put a couple hundred miles on the helmet and have ridden with it everywhere: Back roads, city streets during traffic and on the highway.

This helmet does an excellent job of staying put when travelling at speed. There was a small amount of lift above 70mph but it was far less noticeable than the lift I used to experience with my 3/4 helmet at the same speed. Even cruising at 80mph on the freeway for a while, there was very minimal lift and the helmet was extremely comfortable.

The construction is very solid and they've done a great job of keeping a minimal shell diameter while still maintaining a DOT safety rating. The inner padding is very thick and stitched well, creating that comfort I mentioned earlier. The helmet also comes with an optional visor that snaps onto the front of the helmet (although I did not use this).

For me this is a great option for a lightweight 1/2 helmet that doesn't give the phallic look of many of the bulkier 1/2 helmets out there. The only drawback is the chin strap could benefit from a snap to keep the excess strap material from flapping around while riding. It was easy enough to tuck in but that would be a nice feature.

Overall, if you're looking for a solid, DOT 1/2 helmet, I would look no further than the Daytona. While I still prefer my Gringo, I can see this helmet getting quite a bit of use, especially in the hotter summer months. Again, I just wanted to thank Don at Don's Cycleware for the helmet. Below are some pics of the helmet, ignore the ugly face contained within.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 789 Posts
Default Wear earplugs

The strap in front of your ear will cause the airflow to become unstable and will reek havoc with your ears. Wear earplugs to avoid ringing in your ears.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Turbinesaint
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was happy with the amount of noise, even at speed. I thought my 3/4 had more direct wind noise. After playing in bands for years, I am a fan of earplugs.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 AM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive always worn novelty helmets. But something inside my head is saying get a real one. This is the one ordered a few days back. I hope I will like it as well as you do.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

I have a Vega half-helmet. DOT cert. and no shroom-head look for me.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a damn waste basket. I'll stick with the old Outlaw,a lot slimmer and lighter.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:57 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

Stickin' with my first gen. Outlaw Ultra Slim as well.