General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb farts at 2700 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 AM
joelorensen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb farts at 2700 rpm

Hey Folks,

I have a 97 FXDS with a stage 1 and SuperTrapp. I'm having trouble keeping the bike running from a cold start once the choke is off, and once finally warm and running, it wants to fart through the carb under very light acceleration around the 2600-2700 rpm range. I've recently made some adjustments to the mixture screw (small screw under the plug on back of carb) per some internet instructions......basically 2.5 turns "out" when screw was fully seated. Can you folks give me some ideas on whether further adjustment might remedy this issue?

Thanks,
joe

Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Intake leak. Change all of your intake gaskets, and give your carb a thorough cleaning, and a set of brand new jets while you're at it. Jets are too cheap to bother cleaning. I recommend any of the CV Performance kits.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,048 Likes on 11,065 Posts

To confirm a vacuum leak, squirt WD-40 around the intake gaskets and watch the RPM rise.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you fit a bigger low speed jet and main jet when you fitted the Stage 1 and the pipes?
If you didn't you are running lean.
Carb farts are usually lean mixture.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 AM
SinisterX
Road Warrior
Received 1,328 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper
Did you fit a bigger low speed jet and main jet when you fitted the Stage 1 and the pipes?
If you didn't you are running lean.
Carb farts are usually lean mixture.

^^This^^

Time to change your jetting.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 AM
joelorensen
Advanced

Thanks Guys!

I just ordered a CV Performance "Deluxe Kit", as I didn't perform the stage 1 and I'm not sure what jets are in there. Also order some new plugs, so hopefully this gets things corrected.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by joelorensen
Thanks Guys!

I just ordered a CV Performance "Deluxe Kit", as I didn't perform the stage 1 and I'm not sure what jets are in there. Also order some new plugs, so hopefully this gets things corrected.
You need to order intake gaskets as well! If the bike has sat for any length of time those gaskets are very likely rotted, and when you have an intake leak, it also causes a lean mixture and farting out the carburetor under steady throttle.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Ack! You could've saved yerself some bucks & just spent $7 ea on a couple OEM jets. Depending on your altitude, a step or 2 up on the pilot jet & maybe a '88 XL needle ($11-ish) & you'd be golden.

Not knocking CVP's kit as I've no experience with it whatsoever, but why spend money you don't need to?

Old 04-17-2014, 12:42 PM
joelorensen
Advanced

I hear ya Carl......but all the components to be replaced are nearing the 20 yr old mark, so I don't think it'll hurt to get things dressed up a bit. Also, it'll keep me busy when my kids aren't around. And honestly, I think it will be interesting to see if the "deluxe" kits helps smooth things out some.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:49 PM
joelorensen
Advanced

Well, just installed the CVP Deluxe components.........replaced all jets (was running a 45 switched to a 46), emulsion tube and slide spring. Choke cable mount broke, quick trip to my local dealer and $15, and it was replaced. Previously had to run choke for nearly 3 minutes to keep it running, this evening, maybe 20 seconds........idles about 900 rpm and stayed strong. Went for a quick ride, so far, no farts and no decal popping........time will tell, but I'm happy.

Quick Reply: Carb farts at 2700 rpm