General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a bike, can't ride it

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:00 PM
Darryls48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a bike, can't ride it

I bought my Forty Eight on April 6th, with no MSF class, permit or license. I had my MSF class scheduled that next day. I passed and received my MSF card. I was verbally told I could have it delivered or have a licensed or permitted rider pick it up. Ok, fine. Sounds good.

Fast forward to the following Friday, when I have a buddy on stand-by waiting for the go ahead to pick up my bike for me. I call up Harley, and they tell me due to liability issues, that policy has now changed (as of that morning, mangers had a big meeting) and "I" as the paying customer, MUST have my permit or license to have it picked up or delivered. Wow!!

So, I'm now in the process of having my M endorsement added to my out of state license. I just wish they could have honored their previous verbal agreement when I purchased the bike.

Is this completely normal, or was this just a policy change that needed to happen due to stupid people? So, my bike is still sitting in the showroom looking pretty with no one to ride it going on two weeks.

*** UPDATE *** 28 APRIL 14

I got my license today in the mail so I went and picked up my bike! (my buddy rode it home for me)

I took a very short ride up and down my hill and it was a tad scary, plus it was at night. So, I just knocked out 2 birds with one stone so far. The only thing I'm curious is, where do I store stuff in here? lol I guess I have to get creative with bags or my riding jacket pockets.

I'm so glad this fiasco is over and I can now ride!! woohooo

Attached Thumbnails Bought a bike, can't ride it-imag0077.jpg   Bought a bike, can't ride it-imag6400.jpg   Bought a bike, can't ride it-imag6401.jpg  

Last edited by Darryls48; 04-29-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't really help you because I had my M endorsement on my license when I bought my bike. Even though I hadn't owned a bike in 30 years, and I saw no reason to share that fact with anyone.

But I think it's pretty shitty for them to do that. I think if it were me, I'd tell them to abide by their earlier agreement, or refund any money paid and go somewhere else. Just on principle alone.

I understand they're scared, probably rightly so. But still, they let licensed riders ride bikes at test ride days, so it shouldn't be an issue for someone to pick it up for you. Or, deliver it to your house. Once the bike is sold and off their lot, liability ceases.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain

have them deliver it to you

Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Could be that the OP has bike financed.....they require a copy of driver's license with endorsement indicator M. Insurance peeps have to have a copy of endorsement license also. Maybe it's not the dealer....but if they let it go out the door without insurance...who knows.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain

post came up in wrong thread...

Last edited by kingomtn; 04-18-2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: delete post
Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Darryls48
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kingomtn
have them deliver it to you
I think they will want cold, hard proof (with M license in hand) before they will agree to deliver it. By that time, I can just ride if off the lot.

Danny - I was advised to do something similar, but I had faith and confidence I would be able to get my endorsement, so, whatever, It's a lesson learned, but it makes me question this ONE and ONLY on-island, dealer's integrity on verbal agreements.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kingomtn
I've got a hd logo on my helmet only because it came off craigslist that way.
The rest of the badges and signs and such are decorations others have given me.
Now, vintage hd photos, especially of hd's being ridden or raced, I do like those.
I think you are on the wrong thread.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Darryls48
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Could be that the OP has bike financed.....they require a copy of driver's license with endorsement indicator M. Insurance peeps have to have a copy of endorsement license also. Maybe it's not the dealer....but if they let it go out the door without insurance...who knows.
That was the other part. I was going to insure it when I came in to pick it up, but when they told me I couldn't without the license, I figured, why insure it now and pay when I can't even ride it? In a little more than two weeks I will be making my first payment on it. Hopefully I'll have my license sent by then and I can enjoy my bike.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Sounds overly nanny to me. Unless it is a state law, why would the dealer care? I can see, that maybe the don't want you to drive it off their lot. But, not to deliver it to you is weird.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Hmm,
You have to have a pilots license to buy an airplane?
Most likely not.
Whats the difference, unless its financed. They want to protect themselves.

Last edited by deadman77; 04-17-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Bought a bike, can't ride it