General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went to York, PA Harley Plant today...

Old 04-18-2014, 03:32 PM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default went to York, PA Harley Plant today...

We are spending the weekend in PA and we are staying real close to York. We packed up the kids and went to take the factory tour....We get there and I say to my wife..."I thought there would be more people here..." turns out they are closed for Good Friday. Oh well....next time.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:45 PM
dave713
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't want to go on Fridays.They work four 10 hour days a week.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:42 PM
mountain man
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dave713
you don't want to go on Fridays.They work four 10 hour days a week.
You,d be ok until surge is over by mid to the end of June, then its back to only 4 10's a week.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:07 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US it says here, near the bottom of the page, children under 12 are not allowed on the factory tour.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 63 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I made the mistake of going on a Saturday. The lady at the desk I talked to was surly and flippant. They're don't seem particularly interested in giving tours. Thought I'd spend my time in town but found that everything seemed to be closed there too. Very weird in my opinion.

However, the Harley Museum in Milwaukee is open for tours on the weekend and is superb. I highly recommend it.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:37 PM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Last week I wanted to visit North Rim of the Grand Canyon, about 400 miles away. Ran into to some nice folks from England doing a fly and ride, about 300 miles into the trip. They mentioned they think its closed. Sure enough, North Rim closed for winter this season from November to May 15th.

The trip was mostly a spontaneous excuse to get on the road, but got the same lesson as OP.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by riderideride
Last week I wanted to visit North Rim of the Grand Canyon, about 400 miles away. Ran into to some nice folks from England doing a fly and ride, about 300 miles into the trip. They mentioned they think its closed. Sure enough, North Rim closed for winter this season from November to May 15th.

The trip was mostly a spontaneous excuse to get on the road, but got the same lesson as OP.
Man, that sounds like a Griswald kind experience.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Fairshake
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to York, Pa. on two different occasions and found them closed. My wife and I live in Livingston, La. which is about 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La. and we were visiting her family members in Pa. The first time was a Friday and the second time was the first day of deer season!!; believe it because it is FACT. Now I'm a life long hunter but if you take off a day to deer hunt it's because you have a vacation day coming; not because the entire plant shuts down. That was in 2004. I finally made a trip back in 2006 and the whole place was open for business. Later Fairshake

Old 04-19-2014, 04:16 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairshake
I went to York, Pa. on two different occasions and found them closed. My wife and I live in Livingston, La. which is about 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La. and we were visiting her family members in Pa. The first time was a Friday and the second time was the first day of deer season!!; believe it because it is FACT. Now I'm a life long hunter but if you take off a day to deer hunt it's because you have a vacation day coming; not because the entire plant shuts down. That was in 2004. I finally made a trip back in 2006 and the whole place was open for business. Later Fairshake
Yeah, that might be so, but you ain't a PA Hunter.....In PA, The 1st day of Deer Season is recognized as a national holiday...
Would be considered downright un-American to deny a man, woman, or child the day off....
Schools are closed....lots of businesses are closed, an there's more people in the woods than on the streets. ..
Not nearly as bad as it used ta be, but still a pretty big deal.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:30 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,988 Likes on 11,038 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J
We are spending the weekend in PA and we are staying real close to York. We packed up the kids and went to take the factory tour....We get there and I say to my wife..."I thought there would be more people here..." turns out they are closed for Good Friday. Oh well....next time.
In a non-secular attempt to respect and honor all faiths in the world, the Harley Davidson factory tour will also be closed for the entire month of Ramadan, Hanukkah, Festivus and Kwanzaa. Opening the tour for Christmas and Easter is being considered by the Board of Directors and stockholders.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: went to York, PA Harley Plant today...