General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to protect your bike: Ask a Motorcycle Thief

Old 04-20-2014, 04:38 PM
empire_corsa
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to protect your bike: Ask a Motorcycle Thief

Hi Guys I was searching for the best motorcycle Alarm last night (ended buying scorpio i900) and I found that Page. I think everybody should read that I found it really interesting to know what to do and what not in order to protect your bike from being stolen. They coulnd ask a better person than a thief on my opinion.

here is the link

http://rideapart.com/2012/05/ask-a-motorcycle-thief/

Old 04-20-2014, 04:52 PM
slick hd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

A lot of good information thanks for posting.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I didn't do a good job last night. I left the garage open all night with my harley with an unlocked ignition and all my tools left out.

I'm glad I live in a good neighborhood but I'm still considering myself lucky

Old 04-20-2014, 05:29 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

You have to know your enemy, to be able to protect yourself from them. Thanks for that.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 AM
cmeaney
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely the best info I've received in that regard. Thanks for the input. Luckily I have a garage, but every morning, I count myself lucky that the bike is right where I left It. Thinking of the chain and lock system for good measure. Drill a hole in the floor and secure it with a high quality chain and lock. Thanks again!

Old 04-21-2014, 08:01 AM
fffffish
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I made my own alarm I took a mercury switch out of an old thermostat and mounted it under the seat so when the bike is on its side stand the mercury is to one side of the tube I run a wire from the battery to one side of the mercury tube with an on /off switch between them. run another wire from the other side of the tube to the horn wire with another switch between them make sure you put the switches out of site after you park your bike you can turn the switches on if someone stands the bike upright the horn will blow. Make sure you turn both switches off before you start the bike.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
I guess I didn't do a good job last night. I left the garage open all night with my harley with an unlocked ignition and all my tools left out.

I'm glad I live in a good neighborhood but I'm still considering myself lucky
This happened to me a few times and I was also lucky nothing got stolen - I decided that my luck will most definitely run out so installed one of these Wireless Garage Alarm/Alert which was $25 well spent.

I stay in apartments so the garage is a lot more exposed to others and not that close to my apartment, which made it even more surprising that nothing was stolen on the few times that it was left open all night - the door opener clickers range was good and the button very sensitive, which led to the inadvertent opening.

I installed the HD security system with remote key fobs and siren, which is a deterrent.

Great info OP.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

About a year ago I replaced my garage door opener, and this new one has a few features that enhance security a bit. There is a timer (that can be set or dis-abled) that will close the door after a set period of time, mine is set for 8 minutes. Between all of us at home coming and going at all hours, more than once I've gone to leave for work and saw that the door had been left wide open all night. Lucking nothing was taken. The opener also has a web interface that couples with a control panel that is on my nightstand, if the door is opened, the control will beep. This also has an indicator light that is green when the door is down, and red if it's up. A button on the control closes the door. There is also an application that runs on Android or IOS, that shows me if the door is open or closed, how long it's been in that state, and I can open or close the door anywhere I can get a data signal on my phone or tablet.
I'm sure it's not foolproof, but it nice to have that extra layer of security.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:59 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:19 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think everyone that has a garage has left it open by mistake once or twice....

I had calls on the phone by neighbors several times telling me not to forget the garage door open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to protect your bike: Ask a Motorcycle Thief