General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal practice??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:29 AM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is this normal practice??

So purchased my 06 softail used from the local HD dealership on March 5th. In the last month I have had it in three times for drive ability issues. Today I confirmed my appointment to replace the fuel injectors scheduled for tomorrow. All ok so far but I wanted to know when I should do my next oil change.

I have put 300 miles since purchase and today I inquired about the used bike safety inspection and if they do a fluid change prior to putting the ride on the sales floor. The wonderful dealership indicated they only do an inspection and change zero fluids!!!!' Am I wrong to assume they should at least do an engine oil change prior to sale or is it standard practice to not do that

Old 04-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Buckshaw
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2002 Heritage a little over a month ago and the dealer did a full service on my bike. Also in the process of looking and talking to dealers about trade in value of my previous bike, 2 different dealerships told me that when they take in a trade they have to service them, even if the previous owner (me in this case) just had it done. Now maybe that's just the policy of the 3 dealerships I dealt with but I would assume that they do a service on every used bike they get in.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:48 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

You assumed. Not a bad idea to inquire about that stuff as part of the purchase process. How much inspection did you perform? A quick pull of the dipstick would tell you if the oil was just changed. When buying used, it is buyer beware. You could negotiate for fluid changes and the like when you make an offer to buy the bike, if they don't do that maintenance for their used bikes, which it appears your dealer doesn't. But you gotta do your homework, assume nothing, ask and inspect.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:39 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I've read somewhere that the reason KBB and others list the bikes they have for sale at a higher price then a private seller was, they do a complete service on those vehicles before putting them on the sales floor. Now if that was the case, that would justify the added cost. But I was looking to buy a bike from a dealer a few years back. It had 10,190 miles on it. I asked if they did the 10k service on it ,and they said no. So that being the case, I said why should I pay you a higher price for it?. They said I could buy it and bring it in and they would do the 10k service, for a price. Needles to say.I walked away. It seems lately I'm hearing about people buying used bikes from dealers and having issues that should have been sorted out before, they sold it. I guess they just make more $$$ on it if they just have the low man wash it,and roll in on the sales floor.,,

Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 AM
exiledcarper
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My local dealership adds a $900 service charge on every used bike , but won't change any fluids.
They will replace very worn tyres, but that's about it.

Last edited by exiledcarper; 04-22-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think each dealer can do what they want. If you have no records I'd change them.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:20 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It sucks that it comes to this with the dealer. i trades a 05 ow rider years ago with 7k miles. when they said what they would give me on trade they said they had to put tires on it,(they were still) in my eyes but because they are a dealer they want to change them. long story short, i went to the dealer 3 days later my low rider was on the floor with a sold sticker on it. you guessed it the tires were NOT changed and they sold it that why.

I would only buy a new bike from a dealer.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

You don't build these huge shiney dealerships, stocked with bikes, parts, clothes, accessories, personnel etc by giving stuff away or throwing in things. The customer pays for everything you get at a dealership make no mistake about it.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
You don't build these huge shiney dealerships, stocked with bikes, parts, clothes, accessories, personnel etc by giving stuff away or throwing in things. The customer pays for everything you get at a dealership make no mistake about it.
And it amazes me first that people are surprised by this, and second that they expect any dealer to be their friend.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
they are there to squeeze every penny out of you ! they will lie to you, try to screw you anyway they can. the dealer has never given ANYTHING away. that free t-shirt, you paid for it. what a joke they are.

Quick Reply: Is this normal practice??