General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson learned about Motorcycle Superstore's Customer Service.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Lesson learned about Motorcycle Superstore's Customer Service.

First let me say I tried to resolve an issue with Motorcycle Superstore but they were unwilling to take care of me. It's sad when a company doesn't value a customer to be worth the price of a return shipping label. I ordered two of the Bell Custom 500's when they were on sale. The first one fit fine and according to the size chart. When they dropped the price lower I decided to order another one in a different color. Because of winter I didn't get around to trying on the second helmet for a few weeks. Once I tried it on I discovered it did not fit like the first one I ordered. This helmet is loose on the sides.I contacted the Bell Company and was told they must have put different amounts of padding in the two helmets. I contacted Motorcycle Superstore and requested a call tag be issued so I could return it. They refused and said I would have to pay return shipping and insurance. I offered to let them replace it or even exchange it for a different brand. They were not interested and I noticed when they would respond to my letters they don't sign their name at the bottom instead it just says customer support. In my final letter I requested they forward my letter to the head manager and this time I got no response. I even asked them if they wouldn't just rather have a satisfied customer. They could take a customer service lesson from Fox Creek or C & C. I just completed the necessary paperwork for my credit card company and asked for their assistance in resolving this matter. My next helmet purchase will most likely be with RevZilla because of no hassle returns.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:52 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I have only had one experience with Motorcycle Superstore where I returned a jacket because I did not like the way it fit. I kept the jacket about a month and did not remove the tags. They paid for return shipping. I was completely satisfied with their service.

EDIT: I just checked their return policy and my records and I had to pay $6.99 to return the jacket.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 04-22-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,338 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Default my 02

Im not being a dic* or confrontational... 99.99% of places do not take returns on helmets for any reason. In some states its a legal/hygeine thing.. After the length of time, I see thier point, especially w.the legal issue.. BUT I do see your point. At the end of the day, the helmet was mis-built..

HERES the question - How do you know the second one was misbuilt and that the first one wasnt made too small? Just trying to save a second hassle...

Good luck as I know its not the money but the point..

Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,175 Likes on 936 Posts

How long did you have the helmet before you figured out it didn't fit? Was it over 60 days? I just looked up their return policy and it looks like to me if you were within the 60 days you would have had no issues returning it..You would have to pay $6.99 for the return label which is clearly stated in their return policy.

It seems to me your issue was with the $6.99 and that is why you are upset. If this is the case I have to say your are in the wrong about this.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...urns-info.aspx

Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 AM
milesvdustin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are getting this worked up about seven bucks how can you afford a harley?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:33 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure what world you live in but nobody pays for return shipping unless its 100% their fault.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Unit 91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milesvdustin
If you are getting this worked up about seven bucks how can you afford a harley?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:55 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

never mind.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:15 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

When ever you order ANYTHING, the very first thing you should do upon receiving it is to inspect and take it out of the package and be sure it is what you expected it to be. That way if you have a problem it usually can be resolved quickly.

I'm sorry man but it was YOU who screwed the pooch on this to start with. You say you had the helmet for a "few weeks" before you even took it out of the box and yet you expect them not to just take it back, but to pay for the return shipping when they have no idea what if anything you may done with the helmet in that period of time. They are essentially taking your word that you haven't been wearing the helmet. I think you are being a bit unreasonable here.

The fact that they are even offering to take back a wearable item a "few weeks" after you purchased it at all is surprising to me and shows they are genuinely trying to help you out. Pay the shipping or keep the helmet, they fulfilled their original obligation.

LiiT

Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

It would seem that you did the correct thing in my opinion by contacting motorcycle superstore, the manufacturer and informing both of them regarding the possibility of mismatched interiors in the helmets.
Smart sellers, distributors and manufacturers take this stuff seriously because it could present a liability due to a safety concern.
It should be no big deal for them to either offer a FREE shipping label, contact manufacturer or local distributor for a resolution on your behalf or just send-out a new helmet.
You should have NO out of pocket expense for a manufacturer defect in a safety related product.
There is no reason for a manufacturer to offer inconsistent sizing on the same exact product, especially when it is considered a safety device.
The way this was handled by the manufacturer and the seller is how very costly recalls get initiated.
In an ideal situation it would have been reported immediately but it is within the warranty period anyway.
If you have good documentation, good clear communication and are a good credit card customer then due to the small value the credit card company will resolve this quickly.
The credit card company will side with you and in the end the company will get a charge-back.
I find that most places drop the ball sometimes but the standouts are the ones that know how to resolve a simple problem.

Last edited by im; 04-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lesson learned about Motorcycle Superstore's Customer Service.