General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't have a bagger, need music.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 AM
muttboy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't have a bagger, need music.

I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here. I have a 07 Duece and I'm wearing a Biltwell Gringo helmet. I need some music. I am a show going, music collecting, devout blues, rock and roll, and jam band fan. Needless to say, I'm used to having music at all times. Also, I would like to use only my IPhone 5C as the source. What are my options? Should I adapt a Bluetooth set up to my helmet and just set up a charger in a fork or solo bag? Any recommendations on which ones to really look at?
Or, is there an unobtrusive, smooth way of mounting speakers so that the sound is not always directly in my ear? This would be preferred as I'm a new rider. But, I don't want much (or any) of the equipment visible aside from maybe a phone mount. I don't need to be able to adjust everything while riding. It would be set to shuffle with a bunch of separate playlists that I can change when safely stopped. It would also likely stay at a set volume most of the time. I'm more concerned with quality of sound over massive volume (which makes me think Bluetooth is my best option)
What are your thoughts?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Joe Knapp in the Dyna section makes a 300w speaker in a fork bag set up. But any system without a shield will just be noise. Best bet is to use earbuds.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:57 AM
SlackMason
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at helmet speakers, without blue tooth. I don't like the idea of continually pumping rf waves into my skull while riding. I'd rather deal with a wire. Anyone had a satisfactory experience with something like that?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 AM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by SlackMason
I've been looking at helmet speakers, without blue tooth. I don't like the idea of continually pumping rf waves into my skull while riding. I'd rather deal with a wire. Anyone had a satisfactory experience with something like that?
You're already being bombarded with enough of them that it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 AM
muttboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DonN
Joe Knapp in the Dyna section makes a 300w speaker in a fork bag set up. But any system without a shield will just be noise. Best bet is to use earbuds.
It really never occurred to me to just use my regular duty earbuds. I use mid-price range ($40-$80) noise canceling ones as 'earplugs with benefits' at work. They cancel more sound than the foam plugs we are issued. And that's without music playing.
Too much protection/distraction is my main concern.
I'll give it a try. Maybe the helmet w/shield will allow me to lower the volume enough to feel safe. Not sure though. I'm a turn the **** to 11 kinda guy.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 AM
muttboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Halojumper
You're already being bombarded with enough of them that it probably wouldn't make much difference.
I think I agree here. My brain is burnt one way or another!
I just don't want to spend much and still get decent sound quality.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Mars47
Road Captain

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use these: http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phone-acce...lg-HBS700-tone

And I love it. They're not so much noise cancelling as you can still hear some wind, your pipes, or your buddy yelling at stop signs, but they're loud enough to have some background music as you're riding. The only downside is I only put one album on my phone.

edit: Shoot I even answered a call while riding yesterday and I was apparently able to be heard and hear. (much to my surprise). Oh and I only wear a half-helmet...so my ears are exposed...still love it.

Last edited by Mars47; 04-22-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

MP3 player with ear buds is what I'd use IF I was going to do that. Music is a distraction for me and I use ear plugs for wind noise anyway.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 AM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fir many years before getting my streetglide, I would use a single ear bud in one side. Heck, before mp3 even, was using a small fm radio in my shirt pocket.

Koss makes a foam earbud, for about $12 a pair. I usually order 4 at a time from amazon.

All earbuds will get shorted out over time, dud to wires getting tugged by the wind.

Since I only wear one, when distorted I cut off the bad wire and use the good side.

Make sure your state allows you to wear them. CA you an only have one. AZ is ok with both ears

Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 AM
jlgale
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until I had a bagger I used my iPod with earbuds!

Quick Reply: Don't have a bagger, need music.