General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have to upgrade my seat in order to get a better passenger seat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Leatherneck731
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have to upgrade my seat in order to get a better passenger seat?

Just bought an 06 heritage springer. My seat is great however my girlfriend is complaining that hers isn't up to par with the one I had on my old bike. Do I have to buy a whole new set up or can I just buy her a new one. It's a solo/two up set up meaning I can remove Hers easily so I'm just riding with my own seat. Not sure if that helps. Any suggestions?

Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

If you can take hers off then you can certainly put another one on.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leatherneck731
Just bought an 06 heritage springer. My seat is great however my girlfriend is complaining that hers isn't up to par with the one I had on my old bike. Do I have to buy a whole new set up or can I just buy her a new one. It's a solo/two up set up meaning I can remove Hers easily so I'm just riding with my own seat. Not sure if that helps. Any suggestions?
You'll need to get another seat. Had to do that on my softail,one seat for solo,one for two up,

Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Hauser
Tourer
Location: a little place called 'insanity'... a great place to be!

Is it the stock seat? Harley does make a wide pillion for the stock seat. Check out their website. One of my best friends rode a springer classic and his wife had the same issue, hated the pillion. He upgraded to the wide pillion but that didn't work either. Something about being too soft and not having enough support. He ended up buying a saddleman. Not sure what model though. This is a few years back but I remember all this because we were secretly hatching a plan on how to leave the wives at home and a bad passenger seat seemed like a good plan. Of course that was all in jest. A good passenger seat is like an on/off switch for the nagging wife/girlfriend on the road. And if that doesn't work, trade her in

Old 04-22-2014, 11:48 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistnride
You'll need to get another seat. Had to do that on my softail,one seat for solo,one for two up,
He already said that he can remove hers separately. He shouldn't have to replace his in order to replace hers.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:59 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Most seats are in twos or split, from what I've seen. I know my wife hated her seat. She said it was like sitting on a 2x4.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Leatherneck731
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Hauser
Is it the stock seat? Harley does make a wide pillion for the stock seat. Check out their website. One of my best friends rode a springer classic and his wife had the same issue, hated the pillion. He upgraded to the wide pillion but that didn't work either. Something about being too soft and not having enough support. He ended up buying a saddleman. Not sure what model though. This is a few years back but I remember all this because we were secretly hatching a plan on how to leave the wives at home and a bad passenger seat seemed like a good plan. Of course that was all in jest. A good passenger seat is like an on/off switch for the nagging wife/girlfriend on the road. And if that doesn't work, trade her in
Alright, probably going to see what harley has for options. The main thing I like is being able to take it off and put it on in around 15 seconds. Not that a whole seat change is a pain, but you get spoiled you see haha.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Hauser
Tourer
Location: a little place called 'insanity'... a great place to be!

Alright, probably going to see what harley has for options. The main thing I like is being able to take it off and put it on in around 15 seconds. Not that a whole seat change is a pain, but you get spoiled you see haha.
Just in case you're new to riding and Harleys, aftermarket seats are a far better option for comfort for both, rider and passenger. Check out Mustang, Corbin, Saddlemen and there's a slew more. Plenty of options should be available for a two piece allowing you to quickly remove the pillion for solo rides. I've owned my share of new bikes and the seat is always one of the first things that I change. Kind of sucks because they're not cheap, but you'll feel good about the investment when you spend any significant time in the saddle.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

First of all - is yours a stock seat or aftermarket?

I believe your two biggest concerns with most seats that can run single or double where the passenger pillon can be removed, and you want to keep the solo and get a new pillon are (i) how the pillon docks into the main seat - usually they mate with a male/female type connection and (ii) how the pillon mates with the main seat with respect to the contour, height, etc of the two.

If you like your seat as a solo, then you might be able to find a pillon to mate up (but each seat is different) or you might run yours as a solo and get a new 2-up seat for the both of you or get a whole new 1/2-up combo from the same company that you both like.

In most cases you can swap seats in mear minutes - so it comes down to what you both like and $$

Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I just went through upgrading my seat on a Heritage classic. If you decide to go with Mustang just be sure to check to see if it will work with the stock seats. As I was trying to decide which one to go with I saw some warnings about mix and match with stock.

Quick Reply: Do I have to upgrade my seat in order to get a better passenger seat?