General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A review of a new to USA muffler packing material

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:48 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up A review of a new to USA muffler packing material

bogie here with another review that might interest some.

Had V&H pipes that were too loud for my taste and didn't want to spend big $$$ on new pipes and possibly have to re-tune.

Found a high-temp material made specifically for use in toning down muffler noise called Acousta-fil. Acousta-fil comes woven in a compressed blanket, allowing for easy install; then expands when heated during riding to completely fill the entire baffle-to-pipe void, at a higher density than likely using a tape wrapped, loose fill material.

See the full review at www.bogiesreviews.webs.com, including some interesting bench test before and after pictures.

As always, FWIW and JMHO

Old 04-22-2014, 03:46 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great review.
I've had my bike for several years. When I bought it used the bike was only 10 months old. The original owner had put a bunch of stuff on it including the first generation Samson Rip Saws, which are basically 1-3/4" drag pipes that don't accept baffles.
I left them on for a little over 2 years. The bike ran great but the exhaust was outrageously loud.
I then put on a Fat Cat with the quiet baffle. I thought there would be a significant difference, but the Fat Cat is also too loud for my taste.
I called D&D, who make the Fat Cat and asked them per my description if I really had the quiet baffle. They said the only way to tell was to take it apart to see if it was wrapped.
It is suppose to be fairly hard to slide the baffle out without damaging the exhaust, so I was a bit hesitant to do it.
After reading your review I will give it a try next week. How much is the wrapping and how long did it take for delivery?
Thanks for any further info.
I do like a louder then stock exhaust but there comes a point where it gets annoying.
Tom

Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

That's an interesting concept. I'm doing something like that to my hooker mufflers, they're loud as hell,and tend to drone

Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser

For those who have read the review already - I need to make a small technical correction.

I mistakenly referred to the material as 'woven'. The material is actually 'non-woven', compressed and held together by the melting thread.

My bad - my thought was 'thread=woven' - wrong on my part.

My apologies - the review has been corrected

To answer the question of cost & delivery, please contact Michelle (contact info contained in the review).

Old 05-24-2016, 09:40 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Default New Version of the Product

Bringing up this older thread for an update.

Acousta-fil now comes in a different, 'boa' style. Different, but just as good.

Check out the review at www.bogiesreviews.webs.com

Not affiliated with any of the manufacturers of reviewed products. Not intended as advertising - simply a review of how the products perform from an enthusiast's point of view.