General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought my 1st harley n got questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 PM
matt518
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought my 1st harley n got questions

got a new 2014 dyna streetbob 103 motor. been riding bikes and owned them sense i was 11 yrs old but never a Harley. great ride, powerful. put alot of extra's on it, bags, backrest, grips, pegs, pipes, alarm, oil cooler, mirrors, shop Manual because i usually do alot of my own work on my bikes...any suggestions on what to carry, tools etc? what kind of tools?? any help would be appreciated.. the tools for my other bikes and truck dont fit on the Harley. picked it up 2 weeks ago and just set up for my 1,000 mile service. they said they have to do all the services till the 2 year warranty runs out..

Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Scotsmn30
Intermediate

Originally Posted by matt518
got a new 2014 dyna streetbob 103 motor. been riding bikes and owned them sense i was 11 yrs old but never a Harley. great ride, powerful. put alot of extra's on it, bags, backrest, grips, pegs, pipes, alarm, oil cooler, mirrors, shop Manual because i usually do alot of my own work on my bikes...any suggestions on what to carry, tools etc? what kind of tools?? any help would be appreciated.. the tools for my other bikes and truck dont fit on the Harley. picked it up 2 weeks ago and just set up for my 1,000 mile service. they said they have to do all the services till the 2 year warranty runs out..
Congrats on the new bike. I can't help you much on the tools, though I know I carry a pretty standard set with me. Best Tool I have is my phone and the Roadside service on my insurance.
As for the service work, that is not strictly correct for HD factory warranty. You can have it done at any HD licensed Mechanic. I know the dealer here tells everyone the same thing, but My indy is HD licensed and can do all the services, does a LOT more complete job, and is cheaper to boot. My first suggestion to you is call around and find an Indy you can work with and check out his work, referrals, and get to know him. They can be a tremendous asset.

Again, Congrats on your new HD. Happy Riding.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

#1 You are not going to lose your warranty by not letting them do all the services until your bikes 2 years old. You can do the work yourself. Tell the service manager hes full of $hit. Just keep track of your receipts and maintenance.

I dont carry a lot of tools but I do carry a crescent wrench, vise grips, a folding torx set, 4 way screwdriver, zip ties and an angled wrench to tighten my exhaust header.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:25 PM
matt518
3rd Gear

thanks i didnt like they said they had to do the services so after this 1st one ill do the rest, been doing serives/tune up's on all my bikes for years

Old 04-22-2014, 03:35 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

It's brand new - you don't need no stinkin' tools!

Seriously though, congrats. I carry a set of combo wrenches, small & large adjustables, combo screw driver, torx/star kit, allen head kit, needle nose pliers, channel-lock pliers, vise grip pliers, electrical tape, duct tape, cable ties, about 5' of bailing wire, misc fuses, tire pressure gauge, and a couple of rags. I used to carry spare bulbs but have all LED's now. Everything fits in a small canvas bag I keep in my saddle bag. I also carry a few bungee cords and one of those round plastic discs you put under your kick stand on soft ground.

In 4 years, I've used a couple of fuses, the screw driver, the torx kit to tighten a loose highway peg, the straps, and the kickstand disc. I guess it's better to have the stuff & not need it, etc., etc.

Congrats again and welcome to the forum!

Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 PM
matt518
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
It's brand new - you don't need no stinkin' tools!

Seriously though, congrats. I carry a set of combo wrenches, small & large adjustables, combo screw driver, torx/star kit, allen head kit, needle nose pliers, channel-lock pliers, vise grip pliers, electrical tape, duct tape, cable ties, about 5' of bailing wire, misc fuses, tire pressure gauge, and a couple of rags. I used to carry spare bulbs but have all LED's now. Everything fits in a small canvas bag I keep in my saddle bag. I also carry a few bungee cords and one of those round plastic discs you put under your kick stand on soft ground.

In 4 years, I've used a couple of fuses, the screw driver, the torx kit to tighten a loose highway peg, the straps, and the kickstand disc. I guess it's better to have the stuff & not need it, etc., etc.

Congrats again and welcome to the forum!
thats almost to a tee what ive cared on my other bikes lol.. ill add the bulbs and duct tape.. thanks