General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Beginning Rider Course

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:34 AM
Bluerose
Default RE: MSF Beginning Rider Course

I'd agree that the BRC is not really for experienced riders.

Actually experienced riders can make the harder for the inexperienced riders for the reasons you cite about going around the oval. Remember some of the participantshave never been on a bike before and some are half panicing. No, I don't think some should have graduated in my class either.

My bike did fall over...after I got off of it....it had a bad kickstand andnobody told me[:@]

Hubby just took the test at the DMV. It would have taken him over 5 years to pay for the course with his discount. and he would have been bored stiff.

I think maybe they should have a class offered for real never been on a bike folks (optional when getting a permit?).Then a class for getting license...I mean it was really a waste of my time to walk the bike down a line turn around a walk it back.There was really nothing in my class for folks that didn't know how to ride and 3 people dropped out.

Next I'm trying the ERC in April....need to go practice my figure 8s.[&:]

Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 PM
GADave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MSF Beginning Rider Course

ORIGINAL: Canedog

Well GADAVE I'm sorry you did not learn any thing from the MSF. Why did you waste your time and money in the first place? As an expert rider why not just go down the DMV an walk up to the counter and take the driving test? If you are rider enough to pass it you walk away with a permit in 30-45 minutes not 3 days of sittin a top a hot bike. That you paid to do. Did you not know there would be rider time or waiting time so others could learn as well.

I been riding 30 plus years and took the class with my son a few months back. he grew up on a dirt bike and 4 wheelers I wanted a "pro" not a dad to give him a different lecture before I turn him out on a bike. I learned a few things in the class, sure there was dead time. But I contributed to the "young" riders myself during break time. Several would come my way and ask questions.
I guess I had an open attitude. I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone. Maybe you need to go into teaching others to ride. Maybe you need to teach MSF!

Dog
Yo Dog

I don't claim to be an "expert rider", as a matter of fact I couldn't hold a candle to the guys riding in the motorcops rodeos I've seen. Very impressive.

If you read my previous posts - I chose not to just go take the road test at the DMV on recommendation of almost everyone I talked to saying that even for experienced riders the BRC was a great course. I also said, in retrospect, I should have just gone to the DMV and taken the test. Wish I had at this point.

I guess the biggest point of this whole thread is to voice the other opinion that if you're experienced and good with a bike the BRC may bore you to tears and leave you frustrated. That point of view doesn't come out very often,it seems toalways be "take the class - you'll love it and learn a lot!". Well, not always true.

Maybe after reading this thread, some other folks who are in the same situation I was in will save themselves a couple hundred bucks and a weekend... and look forward to taking the ERC some day. Before this thread I thought the BRC was a prerequisite for the ERC.

I hope your son learned some valuable lessons about riding on the roads, I'm sure he did. I also appreciate the state of GA sponsoring these courses and making them available.

Dave