General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery Failure

Battery failed on my 2012 FLHTC . My warranty ended last month but the dealer is taking care of it at no cost to me . The HD service tech told me he is seeing a lot of 2 to 3 year old batteries fail . He said he doesn't know why they are crapping out early , "maybe they are making them cheap these days ". I always had it on a battery tender when not in use with the idea that it would extend the life of the battery . I guess not , seems like it was wasted effort on my part . I'll run with the HD brand for now , do a little research and in time get an aftermarket brand . Anybody have a like experience or thoughts on this subject ?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Pappy1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My next one will most likely be an odyssey battery from west coast batteries...had one in my off road utv...lasted for ever....and they carry them harleys

Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

My 2011 was starting to turn over slow (original) & I use a tender. I just bought a new one, OEM. I found this a few weeks ago, don't know anything about it.
http://batterytender.com/products/batteries.html

Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 PM
usraptor
Road Master

I've been running a tender on my 2000 Heritage since it was new. I finally changed the OEM battery in 2007, not because it was acting up, but we were going to Sturgis and I didn't want any problems as I know they can go out in the blink of an eye. Consumer Reports has rated WalMart Batteries as one of the "Best Buys" for several years now. When I replaced the battery in my Heritage in 2007 I used a Wally World M/C battery and haven't had any problems. I also use a tender on it. I use a tender on my '13 RGU as well, so far, so good. Also, replaced the OEM battery in my wife's car with one from Wally World three years ago and it's still going strong.

Last edited by usraptor; 04-22-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced my original battery in my Deuce at 3 years with a Harley battery & only lasted 2 and a half years. I replaced it with an Xtreme Permseal from Batteries Plus which was $95. The also have one called Duracell Ultra for $124.
I guess time will tell in regard to longevity. A tender is supposed to make it last longer but as you said, may not make much difference however I think keeping it on during winter months is a good idea.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBig-O
Battery failed on my 2012 FLHTC . My warranty ended last month but the dealer is taking care of it at no cost to me . The HD service tech told me he is seeing a lot of 2 to 3 year old batteries fail . He said he doesn't know why they are crapping out early , "maybe they are making them cheap these days ". I always had it on a battery tender when not in use with the idea that it would extend the life of the battery . I guess not , seems like it was wasted effort on my part . I'll run with the HD brand for now , do a little research and in time get an aftermarket brand . Anybody have a like experience or thoughts on this subject ?

Replace with an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt type) battery. The cost slightly more but are more resistant to vibration and abuse and last longer. They are also maintenance free.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine took a dump about 6 months after I got my bike, Harley replaced it under warranty but its turning over slow again, always on a tender, my neighbors 2011 se roadie has gone thru 2 Harley batts.
my next batt. will be aftermarket.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Replace with an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt type) battery. The cost slightly more but are more resistant to vibration and abuse and last longer. They are also maintenance free.
Defective battery was a no maintenance AGM . It's no big deal as stuff happens but I am wondering if there is a problem with H-D's batteries .

Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
All HD brand batteries have been AGM for at least 5 years.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Somewhere I read that some of the cheapy battery tenders charge @ too high a voltage and may not turn off properly.And AGM batteries are destroyed by constant overvoltage charging.Battery tenders don't really need to be on ALL of the time,but the better ones should shut down charging when a certain voltage is reached.
My experience with HD batteries has been very good.I just replaced one on an FXR which was put in service 2006.