General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many people actually wear chaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
Yeah I'm not concerned about what other people think of me. Maybe you should do what you want.
Yup, this. I'm wearing chaps when it's cold outside, and I'm having a comfortable ride, while some others are cold & complaining about the weather because it's not cool to be seen wearing chaps!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR28
Unlike the other guys on this forum that are too macho to care what people think, I ain't gonna be the first one in Australia to ride in chaps or pink hot pants. Why look like the village people when if it ever gets that cold I can wear full leathers? Road rash I might get over. Low self esteem and ridicule, I dunno.
Clearly, homophobia & insecurity are alive and well on the HD forum.

It must be hard living a life where other people's opinions have such a direct/negative affect your own...

Old 04-24-2014, 09:52 AM
booch
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have chaps and I use them when its cool out but the leather overpants are more comfortable, warmer and offer a lot more protection.
I got mine from Fox Creek and they are easier and quicker to put on than chaps.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/produ...ther-overpants

Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG

It must be hard living a life where other people's opinions have such a direct/negative affect your own...
Really! After reading some of this crap on the forum about posers, rubes, chaps, vests, pirates, flip flops, logos, weight, etc., intolerance is alive and well. Y'all need to get a life! I am so COOL 'cause I don't... really? I think all you cool folks are so obsessed with trying to be unique that you carelessly bash others to make yourselves feel superior. There are some small people around here.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got chaps and I hate em. I wear them on long rides for the small amount of protection they give my shins but chaps are a pita overall imo.

I cant get into my pockets for money etc and my nuts freeze on real cold days. I really like the Fox Creek leather over pants and will eventually buy some for me and my wife but they are pricey.

I am just now getting over the expense of heated gear for both of us so it may be next year now.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:39 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,611 Posts

I wear what I want, I'll even send ya a pic of me riding in a kilt if you are that interested bout it.

LOL

Haole

Old 04-24-2014, 11:29 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneRiderFLH
Really! After reading some of this crap on the forum about posers, rubes, chaps, vests, pirates, flip flops, logos, weight, etc., intolerance is alive and well. Y'all need to get a life! I am so COOL 'cause I don't... really? I think all you cool folks are so obsessed with trying to be unique that you carelessly bash others to make yourselves feel superior. There are some small people around here.
WTH are you talking about?? NEWS FLASH: this is an open forum and as such, people voice their opinions - good, bad, and indifferent. How sucky would it be if everyone had the same opinion about everything. MJR28 stated his reasons for not wearing chaps and they were centered around his own insecurity (which he openly admits) and the fact that he doesn't want to look like the Village People - translation = GAY. Essentially, his lack of self confidence and homophobia is what prevents him from being comfortable wearing chaps. I merely pointed out the blatantly obvious.

So, where was the careless bashing?? Frankly, your comment came off as rather offensive, but you're entitled to your opinion. However, it seems to me that if you were able notice all of the other "intolerance" here, then certainly you'd have noticed the homophobia... right?

Further, given the tone and accusatory nature of your comment, I have to completely agree with you. Intolerance IS alive & well on the forum! Lighten up, Dude.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Never have. Suppose I would if I was touring long distance frequently. Just seemed a bit much but I hadn't been down either.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:07 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

AnotherBlackSG, I think you are totally misinterpreting the comments by LoneRiderFLH. Seems to me he is agreeing with you. Really.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

WTH are you talking about?? NEWS FLASH: this is an open forum and as such, people voice their opinions - good, bad, and indifferent. How sucky would it be if everyone had the same opinion about everything. MJR28 stated his reasons for not wearing chaps and they were centered around his own insecurity (which he openly admits) and the fact that he doesn't want to look like the Village People - translation = GAY. Essentially, his lack of self confidence and homophobia is what prevents him from being comfortable wearing chaps. I merely pointed out the blatantly obvious.

So, where was the careless bashing?? Frankly, your comment came off as rather offensive, but you're entitled to your opinion. However, it seems to me that if you were able notice all of the other "intolerance" here, then certainly you'd have noticed the homophobia... right?

Further, given the tone and accusatory nature of your comment, I have to completely agree with you. Intolerance IS alive & well on the forum! Lighten up, Dude.
I don't mind looking like the Village People: In shape and well groomed. No one mistakes me for gay either.

But I DON'T want to look like an old man wearing out-of-style and inferior protective gear. But hey, some people think a silly beanie helmet looks cool and offers enough protection for them. Not everybody likes chocolate ice cream!

Last edited by Deuuuce; 04-24-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: how many people actually wear chaps?