General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many people actually wear chaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default how many people actually wear chaps?

Every winter I contemplate buying a pair of chaps to keep my legs warm, but everyone I know just laughs at the thought of wearing them. The most common statement being "chaps look cool until you step away from the motorcycle, then you just look ridiculous"

So I figured id ask on here what your thoughts on chaps are

Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Village People killed chaps for me, Now I wear a Armored TourMaster, flannel lined jeans over under armor long underwear and use Guard chaps and lowers. If that is not warm enough I don't ride. No need for traditional chaps.
The hotter Summer months I wear Cargo shorts, Velcro sneakers ( no laces ever on my footwear while riding) and camp shirts.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do when its below freezing. My first trip to Daytona my uncle suggested them (his pair) it was 31 degrees. They work. Don't care what anyone says about them. Now I did take them off once there. I think they are of a use, not a fashion statement. My 2 cents.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sbeast
Every winter I contemplate buying a pair of chaps to keep my legs warm, but everyone I know just laughs at the thought of wearing them. The most common statement being "chaps look cool until you step away from the motorcycle, then you just look ridiculous"

Yeah I'm not concerned about what other people think of me. Maybe you should do what you want.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by sbeast

There is an item of motorcycle apparel called "motorcycle pants". Unlike chaps, these protect your legs from abrasion and impacts to the joints with padding and abrasion resistant material that covers the common strike points of the knees, hips and outside of the thighs. They also completely cover your legs keeping them warm and have vents you can open in hotter weather. Check them out. They are available in most reputable motorcycle gear stores.

Last edited by fat_tony; 04-22-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 PM
coot58
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know...i see them everywhere in jersey..granted,we got our share of posers..in the cold weather i do pack them on the bike and if i feel the need i put them on.they help a little for chilly days..thats all i wear um for..not protection or to look cool.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,581 Likes on 5,161 Posts

Sure do and the work real well in cooler weather. Worn the for many years and not changing now because someone does not think it is cool now.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:04 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I own & use 2 pairs of chaps - one pair is insulated/lined with fleece. I wear them because they protect really well and they're easy & quick to put on & take off. I'm secure with my sexuality so, I have no problem wearing them. I have some homophobe friends who would never wear them, but that's their issue.

There is an item of motorcycle apparel called "motorcycle pants".
Compared to chaps, those look like a major PITA to put on & take off, but to each his own.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 04-22-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I don't as I have a Harley bib bottoms that does the same thing but is water proof.

Also when I did wear them one I felt like this guy.

or this guy

Last edited by Fozzy4325; 04-22-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 PM
jskicet
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chaps

Never was a fan till i rode with them. Great in cooler weather. i kinda like that i have a little extra between my skin and the asphalt just in case. Who cares what people think, besides I've seen some road rash on other folks…..not pretty

Quick Reply: how many people actually wear chaps?