General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever seen this happen to engine oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Question Have you ever seen this happen to engine oil ?

This past Sunday I did an engine and primary oil change using Mobil-1 V-Twin in the engine and the 4-Stroke Mobil-1 in the primary.

Since the previous oil change done in October last year I haven't taken my oil oil to AutoZone for disposal.
After draining the engine oil I needed to make space in my HD oil pan to drain the primary oil , and poured some out into a large glass jar.
As I poured it into the jar it looked real odd, then after a few minutes it settled in layers as can be seen in the photo below.

I haven't attempted to confirm that the clear layer at the bottom is water, but what else can it be?
Could the old oil in the sealed HD oil pan draw that much moisture since October last year?
Could this settling happen in the bikes oil reservoir?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iryipcaiwd...2019.04.07.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Have you ever seen this happen to engine oil ?-2014-04-23-19.04.16-copy.jpg   Have you ever seen this happen to engine oil ?-2014-04-23-19.04.49-copy.jpg   Have you ever seen this happen to engine oil ?-2014-04-23-19.05.00-copy.jpg   Have you ever seen this happen to engine oil ?-2014-04-23-19.05.10-copy.jpg   Have you ever seen this happen to engine oil ?-2014-04-23-19.04.07-copy.jpg  

Last edited by 1004ron; 04-23-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Having trouble with Dropbox pics
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just reread your post, disregard.

Last edited by streeteagle; 04-23-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:53 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by streeteagle
Seems it would have to be condensation water. Prior to winter shut down do you change your oil, & do you start your engine ever so often during the winter months?
I actually took it for short rides during winter - testing new exhaust, front wheel, TTS Master Tune, ....

It looks like condensate, but I'm having a hard time believing that so much could condense in the bike or the HD drip pan.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Its water. Looks like a lot of starts without running at full operating temp long enough to evaporate the moisture.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 786 Posts

It would have to be from the stored oil in the drip pan. How short were your rides in between seasons? If you rode the bike for any reasonable distance during the winter and brought it up to operating temperature the water would evaporate into the atmosphere. Is it possible the storage container was used previously and flushed out with water?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
It would have to be from the stored oil in the drip pan. How short were your rides in between seasons? If you rode the bike for any reasonable distance during the winter and brought it up to operating temperature the water would evaporate into the atmosphere. Is it possible the storage container was used previously and flushed out with water?
The glass jar was 100% dry and the drip pan I bought new.

My thoughts are that it's the oil stored in the drip pan since October that drew moisture, but hang, that's a lot of moisture to be drawn into a sealed container.

My concern is, what if this happens in the bike - the first fluid drawn into the engine from the reservoir might be water with no lubrication properties.

Most of my mileage is to and from work, which is a 38 mile ride each way, and most of that is at 75 mph on the highway.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
The glass jar was 100% dry and the drip pan I bought new.

My thoughts are that it's the oil stored in the drip pan since October that drew moisture, but hang, that's a lot of moisture to be drawn into a sealed container.

My concern is, what if this happens in the bike - the first fluid drawn into the engine from the reservoir might be water with no lubrication properties.

Most of my mileage is to and from work, which is a 38 mile ride each way, and most of that is at 75 mph on the highway.
I own a Cessna 150 and it sometimes sits for more than a month without running. The old time mechanics tell me not to start the engine unless I am going to bring it up to temperature and fly it to burn off the water in the oil. I now use an additive lubricating product called AVBLEND which is supposed to adhere to the metal internal parts to prevent dry starts. Airplanes are left outside in the winter and it takes a long time for the oil to get moving if we do not preheat the oil pan. I believe if you keep the bike in a semi warm garage and use a synthetic oil (whose viscosity isn't subject to cold temps) the initial bit of water will quickly mix with oil and won't harm the engine.

By the way there is a product called Cam Guard which some people use in their airplanes which is similar to AVBLEND. They also have a formula for cars, boats and small engines. I bet that would work in Harleys.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

No way that much built up over a winter in a sealed system sitting , somehow somewhere it got introduced after you drained it or was pushed in during a pressure wash or something like . Even a bike been sitting out in the weather for years never seen anywhere near that amount of water in the oil , we are talking teaspoons at best .

Old 04-24-2014, 01:15 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Very interesting. That's a lot of water. Please let us know if you figure it out.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
Its water. Looks like a lot of starts without running at full operating temp long enough to evaporate the moisture.
Agree- in winter the operating temp has a hard time coming up -especially in trans and primary. I've had this happen a couple times over the years taking bikes out on a tolerable temp day for short rides. Now I don't do that unless I can get them really warmed up for a couple hrs.
First time I saw that it freaked me out--, my old mentor Pops set me straight on what was the problem.
RIP my old friend - I'm still passin' out your superb knowledge.

Quick Reply: Have you ever seen this happen to engine oil ?