General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing Bike Visibility with LED spots

Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,512 Likes on 6,270 Posts
Default Increasing Bike Visibility with LED spots

On Monday 2 UWSP Seniors were killed by a left hand turner into her home driveway, on a 2 lane. This has always been a fear of mine. If someone turns into a rural driveway without signaling, when you don't expect that, it could be tough to avoid a fatal collision.

I always run with my spot lights on, but am considering adding 1 or 2 led spots. Any recommendations?

I found these, but was wondering if anyone has tried them.

2" Round 10 Watt LED Mini Auxiliary Work Light
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...rk-light/1386/

R.I.P. Alex Reeder and Katherine Axlen,

http://spcitytimes.com/?p=18941&cpage=1

Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,990 Likes on 11,040 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
This has always been a fear of mine. If someone turns into a rural driveway without signaling, when you don't expect that, it could be tough to avoid a fatal collision.

It's my fear too but I always ride expecting someone to turn left in front of me. If I see a threat, I treat them like they don't see me until proven otherwise. I rather depend on my defensive riding skills than the unknown benefits of LED spots to save my life.
Never ride when, "you don't expect that".

Last edited by upflying; 04-24-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:58 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

moto lights

Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
It's my fear too but I always ride expecting someone to turn left in front of me. If I see a threat, I treat them like they don't see me until proven otherwise. I rather depend on my defensive riding skills than the unknown benefits of LED spots to save my life.
And that's the way you should ride in that situation. But remember no matter how defensive you are, some will still turn left at the last moment leaving you no out.

So LED lights can indeed help prevent that from happening by making you more visible to begin with.

I run these Custom Dynamics Dynamics Ringz on my bike now: http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...rn_signals.htm

Old 04-24-2014, 04:41 AM
kcdowning
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I be got them

I put a set from Twisted Throttle on my bike. I am not sure how effective they are. How do you quantify that? You wil never know which car didn't pull out because they saw you.

I will say that I have got a lot of comments from people i know about how bright the lights are.

My philosophy is I do everything I can to make myself visible to the cages. I ride with a defensive mind set every time I get on the bike. I can't control everything or every body so I will take advantage of everything I can.

The added bonus is they really light up the road after dark. For that alone they were worth it.

It isn't a perfect solution but sometimes nothing will help. People still pull out in front of fire trucks with lights, sirens and yellow paint jobs.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,512 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I ride extremely defensively, including Smidsies. But if someone turns into a private driveway, without signalling, there may be no warning. I have always been able to tell they were turning because they were slowing, but it happens often enough, I want to increase my visibility.

I am an optometrist, and know there are many drivers with poor visual acuity, or depressed visual fields. In layman's terms they see like ****.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:58 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

LEDs are the way to go but even those aren't going to make sure the goofballs will see us. Now if they were 12" across...nah, not even that.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:04 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
And that's the way you should ride in that situation. But remember no matter how defensive you are, some will still turn left at the last moment leaving you no out.

So LED lights can indeed help prevent that from happening by making you more visible to begin with.

I run these Custom Dynamics Dynamics Ringz on my bike now: http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...rn_signals.htm
I agree. That's why I changed all of my lights to bright LEDs, including Daymaker headlight and aux lights. I know I'm a lot more visible now to oncoming traffic.

The more visible you are, the less chance of your defensive skills being necessary.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 AM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking at these for the same reasons:

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/PB_Features.shtml

Photon Blaster...cool name...looks like it may be the ticket. I have not purchased them yet, but plan on getting the lights for the front and rear. I am thinking of mounting the front ones on the front crash bars rather than the front forks. The rear ones would likely be next to the license plate although maybe mounted on the lower portion of the saddle bags would be better.

Check out the site and let me know what you think.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,990 Likes on 11,040 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso

The more visible you are, the less chance of your defensive skills being necessary.
That kind of thinking will get you killed. Never, ever allow your extra lighting lull you into a false sense of security and defensive driving complacency. You cannot relax your self-preservation skills just because you think you are more visible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Increasing Bike Visibility with LED spots