General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax On Wax Off

Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 PM
tinnermanmark
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, thanks for all your Carb help for my 96 FXSTC. Settled on an S&S Super E Complete Kit. Breeze to install. Leaned it 1/8 Turn and upped the Idle 1/16th of a Turn for the the Altitude (7000 feet). Idles and runs like a dream. Thanks again.

And so a a Question: Any suggestions on Wax-Shinny Stuff for the *Hot* Chrome Heads, Chrome on the Cylinders, Exhaust Pipes, Primary Cover, Oil Filter, Oil Tank, etc? . . . I would rather not put something on them that is just going to turn dark due to the heat.

Thanks again ~ mark

Well gosh, that did not go as planned. Even with Charter's 35 Meg Download Speed, it takes forever to view.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-25-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:55 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tinnermanmark
First, thanks for all your Carb help for my 96 FXSTC. Settled on an S&S Super E Complete Kit. Breeze to install. Leaned it 1/8 Turn and upped the Idle 1/16th of a Turn for the the Altitude (7000 feet). Idles and runs like a dream. Thanks again.

And so a a Question: Any suggestions on Wax-Shinny Stuff for the *Hot* Chrome Heads, Chrome on the Cylinders, Exhaust Pipes, Primary Cover, Oil Filter, Oil Tank, etc? . . . I would rather not put something on them that is just going to turn dark due to the heat.

Thanks again ~ mark

Well gosh, that did not go as planned. Even with Charter's 35 Meg Download Speed, it takes forever to view.
Glad to hear you got your carb problems sorted. I was wondering how you made out. S&S E was an excellent choice (one of my favorites). I think you'll be very happy with it.

I wouldn't bother with wax on the hot parts. I use Capt. Richards Boms Away metal polish and sealer. Works great cleans, polishes and seals. Wipe on...wipe off.

http://www.captainrichardsbest.com/i...&category_id=6

If you really want to be nice to yourself and the bike, get the Combo, Captain Richards Best and Boms Away

http://www.captainrichardsbest.com/i...&product_id=23

I met the Captain in Laconia 10-15 years ago. He was doing demos and selling product. This stuff is the best. Everyone I meet wants to know what I use on the bike, and usually order some.

Look at the web page and see what you think. Orange County Choppers and lots of other custom shops are regular customers. Makes keeping the bike clean and shiny easy...almost no effort.

Capt. Richards Best for paint, chrome, windshields etc. Bombs away to keep the chrome nice.

I highly recommend these products.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:26 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Can't go wrong with the Super E, I currently have one on my Softail SS and had one on a Low Rider and Softail Custom all had no issues at all.

I use Poor Boys Black Hole for both my bikes and Poor Boys Natty's Blue. It's formulated for black and red bikes and fills minor scratches. Both my bikes look better than ones I see on the showroom with zero miles on them. I use ZAINO blonde towels to avoid any scratching.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:48 AM
tinnermanmark
Novice

Thanks. . . . Got some kind of Spray-On Wipe Off stuff from the http://www.thechromestop.com/index.php Dude up here on The Hill but was wondering if there was any Specialty stuff for the Hot Chrome & Stainless.. . . Thanks again

And btw. . . Get this. . . I go in to the joint and hand his Dad 5 Bones to order the Carb Kit. Chris calls me up a few hours later. . .

Chris. . . . What's Up? You buying me lunch?

Me. . . . . .Huh?

Chris. . . . Yea, there were a couple Hundreds stuck together and I figured it was Party Time.

Me. . . . Well Shucks Dude, I'll buy ya lunch but sure as hey not at The Lounge On The Lake.

Chris . . Well get on up here and get your money.

************** So how's that for a Small Local Shop Owner? The man now has a Customer For Life.

Last edited by tinnermanmark; 04-26-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:59 PM
tinnermanmark
Novice

The Product I got from my Local Guy which does a fairly decent job is Maxima Oils' SC1 High Gloss Clear Coat. "New Bike In A Can". . . Does not say anything about Chrome or Stainless. The "Bombs Away, Metal Polish and Sealer" sounds like good stuff along with the "Poor Boys Black Hole". It is a black bike after all. ~ mark

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...products_id=36

Old 04-26-2014, 05:03 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

The Product I got from my Local Guy which does a fairly decent job is Maxima Oils' SC1 High Gloss Clear Coat. "New Bike In A Can". . . Does not say anything about Chrome or Stainless. The "Bombs Away, Metal Polish and Sealer" sounds like good stuff along with the "Poor Boys Black Hole". It is a black bike after all. ~ mark

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...products_id=36
I use this stuff too ^^^^ especially when I'm on the road. It's incredible stuff, makes a black paint look wet and repels crap from sticking to the bike pretty good.

My Poor Boys waxes and sealers have been used on all parts of my bikes hot and cold with no issues. I get compliments every where I go on how good the paint looks so it must be working. I use the SC-1 on everything except the grips, pegs, seat and tires and have had no issues at all.

Last edited by E8USMCRET; 04-26-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 PM
tinnermanmark
Novice

I'll check to see if he can get The Poor Boy's stuff. Sounds like great stuff. Big bummer is that especially American Chrome hasn't had enough Nickle in it for a good 50 years. Ever check Old English Sports Car Gauge Rings? I've had about a dozen of them over the years. The reason the rust doesn't show through is more Nickle.

. . . . nhrider1 . . . The Capt. Richards Links don't open. I tried just http://www.captainrichardsbest.com/ and apparently the entire Site is down.

Last edited by tinnermanmark; 04-26-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:26 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll check to see if he can get The Poor Boy's stuff. Sounds like great stuff. Big bummer is that especially American Chrome hasn't had enough Nickle in it for a good 50 years. Ever check Old English Sports Car Gauge Rings? I've had about a dozen of them over the years. The reason the rust doesn't show through is more Nickle.

. . . . nhrider1 . . . The Capt. Richards Links don't open. I tried just http://www.captainrichardsbest.com/ and apparently the entire Site is down.
Just tried it, and the site is definitely down. All was well yesterday when I copied the links. Hopefully it will be back soon.

Just discovered that they sell on ebay now. This link has a pretty good description of the product:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOMS-AWAY-BO...p2054897.l4275

Last edited by nhrider1; 04-27-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added eBay link
Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain

The man now has a Customer For Life.
...and integrity too. Very refreshing to hear this now days!

Old 04-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Jimmykoz
Cruiser

Turtle. They make a chrome polish. All I have ever, and will ever use. Same as wax. On, let dry, off. Easy. Very cheap and you'll find it anywhere. Atleast you didn't pull the typical harley thing and buy the harley ****.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wax On Wax Off