General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bee in the bonnet

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:24 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default bee in the bonnet

so here I am, 45mph, right at the speed limit. Nice overcast day. Minding my own business.

BAM! I thought it was a rock, but it just kept stinging. I pull over, rip my half helmet off and a HUGE red wasp just flies away as if nothing happened. Hurt like hell (still stings 30 minutes later.)

I've hit bees over the years, even hit a bird square in my chest at 70mph, but this freaking wasp hurt like a ****.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 PM
little red around the neck area's Avatar
little red around the neck area
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

Gets your attention don't it. I had a bee fly up my cargo shorts one nice warm afternoon, I never knew I could pull my bike over, stop and drop my shorts so quick.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:39 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by little red around the neck area
Gets your attention don't it. I had a bee fly up my cargo shorts one nice warm afternoon, I never knew I could pull my bike over, stop and drop my shorts so quick.
Same thing. I was on the side stand and had my helmet off within 10 seconds of the sting.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:49 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

For years I rode with only glasses.One day I felt what I thought was my hair being pulled by the liner of my helmet.It felt like a very light pinprick.Well it wasn't getting better,very annoying so I pull over,remove my helmet ,and out flies one of those long metallic purple wasps.It must not have had enough room in there to turn around and nail me,so it just kinda stabbed my scalp repeatedly.And not the only bee/wasp/hornet story!

Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

I had to pull off the road and drop my pants once. Yellow jacket flew up a pants leg and had stung me twice before I could drop my pants. And yes, I'm allergic to bee stings!

Old 04-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

Saw a guy in the Harley Dealership start jumping around and tearing his shirt off. He had just come in from the road and had caught a bee in his shirt pocket. It finally woke up and wasn't happy.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:55 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I had one fly downthe neck of my jacket on the Foothills Parkway last summer. Just my luck it was a yellow jacket. It tagged me 4 times before I could get pulled over and rip my jacket off. They do get your attention.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:38 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Sting Sticks are great. I get stung so much around the farm that I keep one on the tractor and in the truck. Ammonia works pretty good if you are around the house. Dab a little on a paper towel and rub on the sting area. Even Windex will work in a pinch.

It works!

LiiT

Old 04-29-2014, 04:48 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one fly up my shirt a couple years ago. I beat the crap out of it but still got stung.

@jeffreysilver...sorry to hear you were stung while being allergic...still, a funny story!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 PM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one sting me once through my HD jeans just south of "The Boys". Another 2 inches north I would have had serious trouble.

(To flamers and haters - I buy HD jeans cuz they're cheap.)

Quick Reply: bee in the bonnet