General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Crowbar
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on bike

Hello, I have been away from riding for a few years and now ready to get back into it. I have 2 choices and would like some input. I looked at a 1985 FXRS with very low miles that is basically like new. It is a one owner and belongs to an older man that has kept it in an enclosed building with a couple of antique cars that he has. He has owned several Harleys from a Knucklehead to an Evo. It is very smooth and the exhaust note of the Evo is pure music. I can buy it for about $5,000 or maybe a little less. I would probably install high compression pistons and a cam swap if I get it. My question is are parts getting harder to find for the FXR's and since this is a early Evo any problems?
The other bikes I have considered are 2000 and 2002 Fat boy. They are not as light and don't handle like the FXRS but i like the rock solid feel of the Fat boy and it seems it fits my tall frame better. Also the Fat boy is the best looking bike on the road in my opinion. I didn't get to get either bike on the highway but i was wondering if the 88B engine has any vibration or buzz at higher speeds. As i have gotten older the vibration is something i don't want anymore. Both bike have about 7,000 miles, showroom new looks and i can buy either for $6,000. My plans would be a 95" big bore and cam swap. The 2000 has a carb and the 2002 fuel injection. Carb is cheaper to have. I have some reservations about picking a Twin Cam over an Evo but that Fat boy is a good looking bike. I live in a rural area and most of my riding is in the country but i plan a couple long trips in the summer. I am hoping some of you guys that have been in a similar situation might could offer some advice. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

You take the Fat Boy and tell me where the FXRS is.

Get the bike that speaks to you the most. I know that FXR would be begging me to buy it.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
You take the Fat Boy and tell me where the FXRS is.

Get the bike that speaks to you the most. I know that FXR would be begging me to buy it.
Having had both EVO's and TC's, I would strongly consider the newer Fat Boy. Hell it's 17 years newer and stock 88's run like Evo's with cams. Add a 95 kit and cams and you'll be way ahead on power.

You should drive both and decide what is acceptable. The newer TC's with balanced engines are very smooth, but there is some minor vibration above 65-70mph. It's not enough to bother me much and lots of people ride long distance on Softails, but you need to decide. They are very smooth around town and on secondary roads.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

It's really apples and oranges....What kind of riding will you do, where you going, bla bla bla......Either sound great...Buy both....Seriously buy what's best for you right now and go from there...just ride

Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM
jimmy z
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Both are great bikes but IMO... go with the 2002 Fat Boy.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:36 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Get the FXRS, since you expressed a little doubt on the others. That'll be $20 for my services and advice.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:31 PM
kevdog
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For $6k I would go with the 2002 Fatboy.

My first Harley was a 1991 FXRS and really enjoyed it but vibrated like crazy when I was stopped or at idle. I then had a 2001 Fatboy that I enjoyed much more, had more power and had much less rattle when stopped, plus it had floorboards which I prefer over pegs.

Supposedly the rubber mounted engines like the FXRs, touring and dynas all smooth out once riding and the softails are the opposite.

If I lived near you I would buy the 2002 Fatboy in a heartbeat for $6k, in fact I am looking for a deal like that right now but I'm in New England. Supposedly the 2002 bikes were the best years for a few other reasons as well, there's plenty on that in this forum if you search around.

HOWEVER, you don't see many FXRs around nowadays and I don't think you can go wrong with it, especially for under $5k.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

'02 model year bikes have a great reputation around this forum. I'd buy the FB and at the very least, with it being that model year, you could sell it for as much, if not more than you paid.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

The more I think about it, buy the Fat Boy and PM me the guy with the FXR's number. Do you have any pictures of it?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A near mint, low mileage FXRS for $5k? If you haven't bought this by now, it doesn't exist. I thought my '89 FXRS was the best bike I've ever owned.

Handling. A good friend of mine has a CVO Softail whose floorboards scrape if he tries to turn with any speed. The FXRS is known as Harley's best handling bike.

As far as taking a low mileage bike and immediately switching cams and high compression pistons...love the one you're with.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on bike