General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to look at a bike, need input

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts
Default Going to look at a bike, need input

I am going to look at a 93 heritage w/16K miles. Original owner who is selling because he bought a touring bike. I did the search on the forum for problems and saw the clutch plate with the rivets, and the weep/seep/leak oil issues. Are there any other issues I have to be concerned with? Owner says its never been down and has been maintained.

I will be meeting him this weekend to inspect and I asked about running it through the gears. I said I would give him a copy of my license and the cash to hold while I was testing (His price is firm but fair and I agreed if I bought it, it would be at his price). He advised me there will be no test rides. I have read the most recent thread on this but not being able to run it sends up a red flag for me.

I also posted this in the softail section, for info about the bike, but was hoping for more input here.

Thoughts, feedback, and suggestions appreciated.

OP Edit 01 May 2014: Thank you for the excellent input and advice (24 posts as of this edit). I am going to go look at the bike as it is less than a half hour away in Newark. Taking in to consideration the input here, I am giving the owner the benefit of the doubt as to why he doesn't want someone riding his bike. I will ask him to take it out and I will follow. If he does not agree, I will walk away.

Thanks for the posting about what to consider mechanically and that the engine is rigid mount and to expect some vibration as a result. This is the info I was looking for. His price is 5K firm, no haggling, no negotiations. If he is the original owner and has cared for the bike, I think this is an okay deal.

Please continue posting advice, suggestions, things to consider when inspecting the bike, and I will update again Saturday afternoon when I get back from looking at it.

Last edited by ConfuciusSay; 05-01-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fhe want let you take it around the block with cash in hand, I'd tell him wher to stick it. Hes hiding something I bet!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would never buy a bike without riding it first. Period. End of discussion

Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,430 Likes on 4,130 Posts

" I said I would give him a copy of my license and the cash to hold while I was testing."

As long as you gave me my ASKING price in cash, I would let you ride it. Anything short of that, no free rides.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

If he had the purchase price of the bike in cash, in hand, and wouldn't let you test ride, I'd say "Bye-bye!" because he's hiding something that would kill the sale if there was a test ride.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 AM
shorty07ultra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell him you would like to see him ride it then. Another possibility.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:57 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Tell him to stick it were the sun don't shine.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Why the interest in a 21 year old bike? No test ride would get my curiosity up.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Bruces06
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walk away from that deal. If you hand him the amount of cash that he wants before you get on the bike as a good faith measure, you basically just bought the bike as long as your happy with it, or if you break it. Either way he gets his $. Anyone who wont let ya ride there bike that there selling when they have your $ in there hand is a fool and really doesnt want to sell it.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I just wouldn't buy it. If he's not budging neither would I.

Quick Reply: Going to look at a bike, need input